Darwin Hotel Help, pPease

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 02:20 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darwin Hotel Help, pPease

Hi,

We just booked the Ghan leaving from Darwin for Adelaide on Feb 9, 2009. We need a hotel for Feb 5 and 6, 2009. We will arrive by air from Perth around 12:30 on Feb 5.

I was planning on a harbor view one bedroom apt at the Saville, now a Mantra but had not been able to book direct on the hotel web site, or any site hotel site, so got Amex Travel to try when I booked the air. The agent called yesterday and said all they had availble was a A$900- 3 bedroom suite!!!

We would like a clean, in good condition harbor view room or apt with a king bed. We would also like a washer/dryer in the apt or hotel proper if possible and in the A$200-A$250 range.

Tripadvisor reviews are not very encouraging about the condition of any of the hotels and there seem to be many notes that the hotels don't honor the internet room type request.

Anyone stayed at the Novotel (no kgbd), Skycity or Cullen Bay (no kgbd). The Marrakia pictures look nice, is it, and where is it in location to the others?

I have all the other hotels/cottages booked now in Sydney, Perth, the SW coast, Adelaide wine country and Kangaroo Island. I am a bit worried about Darwin. I thought this was the low season.

Any suggestions/help would be welcome.

Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Hi CWN,
I just called the Saville (Mantra) on the Esplanade. Free call(+61) 1300 557 575.

They have availability on 1BR Harbour view suites (King beds) for 5th & 6th Feb 09. AUD 279.

I mentioned you'd had difficulty getting through to them and they said they had a request that they'd rec'd today for similar to yours, so maybe yours has taken longer than expected to reach them.

I had a lengthy wait for reservations & eventually the receptionist took my details - and they called me back within 5 minutes.

Recommend you call them if you don't receive a response to your email within 24-48 hours.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM
cwn
Original Poster

WOW, Thamnk you so much for your trouble on my behalf.

I had given up on getting the Saville (Mantra) on the Esplanade. It sounds like a good fit for our needs. After a week of trying different sites I had given up and posted here for help.

Just checked my email and a reply has arrived from them with your same information. My email must have finally gotten through. I just replied-hopefully my email will travel a little faster this time and all can be comfirmed!!!

Thank you so much! I feel so much better now. That is the last big piece for the bones of our month long trip to Australia. We are so excited about our visit!

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM

My pleasure, CWN. I've stayed there and liked it.
Loved Darwin - do take the hop on/hop off bus trip to acquaint yourself with some of the places of interest(they will collect you from the Saville).
Old May 1st, 2008, 07:11 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Thank you again.

Sorry I can't seem to spell/type!

Yes, I had put the bus in my notes. We usually do that like of bus ride if there is one. Glad to know it is worth doing.

I know the weather may not be the best, but we are looking forward to exploring the Darwin area. I have a list that I keep adding to. We will do what we can based on the rains.

My husband loves train, so we will ride the Ghan from Darwin to Adelaide.

Thanks again.
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Hi,

Bokhara2, well after several emails back and forth with Biacna in reservations, I just got a email that I had a reservation for a city view apt!!! I even stated a harbor view in my last email.

Is it common to be quoted one thing and have that changed when the hotel does the reservation?!

I have emailed them back to change the reservation. Hope they will fix it with out a problem. We live in the States, so it is a overseas call with a big time difference. Guess I can call, but I still like to have the exact room description in writing when I show up at the desk!

Old May 5th, 2008, 01:26 AM

cwn; my understanding is that it's a toll free international call. I may be wrong. Often am.

If it were me, I'd call them & charm them into a harbour view