Daintree Wilderness Lodge-any opinions?

Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Daintree Wilderness Lodge-any opinions?

We have five days to spend around Cairns and Port Douglas before boarding a seven day cruise, so do not need any water time. This place looks really fantastic for something totally different. Any advice? I booked three nights, and will move on somewhere else closer to Cairns.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 02:47 PM

I have stayed there three times in the past and really enjoyed it. I have stayed only one night on each occasion though. Suggest you spend the other two night on the Atherton Tablelands where more of the endemic wildlife is to be found.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 07:08 AM
TC

Hi shell, We stayed at Silky Oaks Lodge (very similar) prior to our Coral Princess cruise through Whitsunday Islands. I checked out both places. I think Silky Oaks was a bit less expensive at the time. They are wonderful properties in stunning locations. Take advantage of all the activities offered -- especially the full or 1/2 day "safaris". We did ours with David Armbruster. He was amazing! Our best day by far.

http://www.anhs.com.au/index.html

I was totally turned off by our one night in Cairns, so unless the town has changed a lot, I would suggest spending as little time there as possible.

Other properties:
http://www.anhs.com.au/accommodation.htm#CAIRNS
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM

There's a multitude of non water activities out of Cairns and its northern beaches (Palm Cove, Trinity Beach,etc) , the most popular being the Kuranda Scenic Train/Skyrail.

If you have a spare afternoon before leaving on your cruise, you could do a lot worse than spending it with Andrew or David - www.cairnsdiscoverytours.com They are both professional naturalist guides, the knowledge of history of town and local flora and fauna is profound, and for $65 this tour is real value. Door to door transfers from Cairns city and nearby suburbs included in price, $5 pp from Cairns northern beaches.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the suggestions-we are only three months away and my gram is already packing. We will check out the safaris for sure as I am missing my annual trek to Africa this year. Hope the wildlife is just as exciting.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Original Poster

I just the checked the rates for Silky Tree and they are over twice the cost per night. It does look really nice, but I believe we are good to go with Daintree Wilderness Lodge. Only seven cabins and what looks like a good adventure. Thanks for the links to the other sites, very helpful.
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 07:54 PM

ShellCat,
I see Silky Oaks vans touring the Atherton Tablelands with their guests. Suggest that you stay up there for a couple of nights. Most Australian mammals are crepuscular or nocturnal so do include a nocturnal tour at mid or high altitude.