Search

Clothing Dec/Jan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Laura

Clothing Dec/Jan

We are traveling in Eastern Australia Dec 24 to Jan 6. What type of clothing should we take?

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 09:47 AM
lenny

Beach clothes! It will be hot and humid. Aussies are very casual, so you won't need anything fancy!

Old Dec 8th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Mary

depends what you're planning on doing! If you're just spending your days at the beach - beach clothes, but if you are planning on eating out, visiting museums or spending time in any major cities you will need something a bit smarter (pants, shirt, light jacket). You should note that south of Sydney you will also need a light jacket as it can be cool (and is rarely humid) and if Sydney or north an umberella as it is humid & getting towards the rainy season. At the moment Victoria and Sthn NSW are experiencing their coolest start to summer for over 100 years. it probably won't last - but at least one jacket would be a good idea.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 01:30 PM
robyn

Smart casual and casual. It would be nice to see decently dressed travellers instead of daggy old shorts and holey T shirts. Bad enough that Australians on a whole are daggy.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 02:20 PM
LizF

Bring a couple or 3 nice drip dry shirts, some shorts and a skirt that will go with the shirts, sandles and thongs will suffice - don't bother with jeans as they tend to be too hot in summer and finally a jacket which can double as a rain jacket as well as being wind proof - just in case.<BR>I don't think that Australians are a daggy bunch - just casual and who cares what tourist look like as long as they are having fun and are comfortable. There is nothing worse than lugging around lots of clothes that are in appropriate. BUT ALSO bring a hat which should be the first thing you pack together with your swimming costume. Remember this too ( its taken me a long time to get this through my head) there are shops here and if you forget something its no big deal as you can always buy things here like T-shirts and shorts.

Old Dec 16th, 2001, 09:32 PM
marg

Just an update on our weather. So far the summer has been almost non-existent with fairly cool days and lots of rain. Temperatures in Sydney and Melbourne have been in low to mid twenties (celcius). Be prepared with an umbrella or rainjacket, particularly north of Brisbane. Queensland will be humid.<BR>Clothes that can be layered are your best bet. Bring a hat, swinsuit and sunscreen. Good casual clothes will get you into almost any restaurant.