Search

Christchurch in Aug??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Nyetzy

Christchurch in Aug??

Is it going to be crazy travelling to Christchurch in end Aug/early Sept??? Is it going to be terribly cold?

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Richard

Nyetzy<BR>I have lived in Christchurch most of my life so I will try and give you an indication of the weather during that time. Some of us consider that the beginning of Spring comes at the 1st of September whereas others think that the 1st October is the correct date.<BR>Generally though the weather can be a bit changeable at that time. You can often get a clear fine day after a cool start to the morning. Average day time temps will probably be about the 15 - 18c(60 - 66f) You are still Liable to get the odd frost in the morning, but generally you get a fine day after a frost anyway anyway. We only get about 25 inches of rainfall a year, so that should not be a problem.<BR>Having said all that, we have just experienced probably the worst summer ever, well that I can remember anyway. Hopefully next Spring/Summer will be a lot better.<BR>I hope this answers your question.<BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Harry

Bloody freezing is what I would say about that time of year in the South Island. <BR>We went there in early December and froze to death one day and fried the next. That was a few years ago though but I doubt the weather has changed much

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:38 PM
pat

Just got back one week ago. Christchurch was very cool, gray, and cloudy, but then so were most of our stops. I froze in Dunedin. It poured rain in Wellington. I came home and it was warmer and sunnier here than anywhere during my 2 weeks in NZ. And we are talking their summer!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Jerry&Fay

Well Pat, now you know why they call it the land of the long, white cloud and why so many of us have moved and live in Australia.<BR>August/Sept will be uncertain at best or absolutely cold, wet and grey at worst. If people are wanting to see Milford Sound at that time of year they may be lucky but most probably they won't be able to get in and then the cold makes the getting in terrible. <BR>New Zealand is a very cold country, especially in south island. You can still be getting snow into December in places.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Alan

ttt