Christchurch & Auckland

Aug 7th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Christchurch & Auckland

Hi,
My husband, 16 year old son and I are planning 9 nts in NZ. I would love more but can't do it due to school. We will be there XMAS-NY period. As we have been to Fiords in Norway, Alaska and Chile we are going to skip Q.town
Our itinerary will look something like this:
Day 1. Arr. 2:30 pm (we will have been traveling 24 hours so we'll just rest and stay close to town)
Day 2 Antarctic Center and explore Christchurch (punting or canoeing on Avon if nice)
Day 3 Akaroa and swim with dolphin cruise and explore town
Day 4 Hammer Springs Thermal Pools and river rafting or mountain bike
Day 5 Arthurs Pass
Day 6 Fly to AKL (time to be established)
Day 7 Explore AUK city center, shops, etc
Day 8 Explore beaches/suburbs
Day 9 SkyTower and climb AKL Harbor bridge
Day 10 Fly to SYD

Does this sound reasonable? Thanks for any input. We may actually stay overnight in Hammer Springs. Has anyone done it as a day trip from Christchurch.

Cheers,
Pat
Aug 7th, 2007, 05:31 PM

Hi Pat -

Your itinerary sounds pretty reasonable to me, although personally, I'd spend every minute on the SI.

I've stayed in Hanmer Springs several times and will be there again this coming Sunday as the first stop on our three week SI visit. It's an easy day trip from Christchurch, about 90 minutes each way.

Akaroa is also about 60-90 minutes from CH and makes an easy day trip. Suggest you get an early start, as you can easily fill a day there.

On day five are you planning to drive Arthur's Pass or take the TranzAlpine?
Aug 8th, 2007, 12:53 PM

The Antarctic Centre is fairly good. There is also a good art museum in Christchurch. If you're there on a Sunday there are various entertainment artists in the square near it. Don't forget the comprehensive Air Force museum on the edge of town. Most people overlook the good work NZ did with the few planes they were leant in the war.

Pop into Kelly Tarleton's in Auckland. The Sky Tower has reinforced glass areas which is thick enough to stand on and look at the street far below. My cousin who is rather heavy refused to do so. There is a small naval museum in Devonport facing Auckland City, a little walk to the right (facing Devonport). Downtown Auckland is easy to walk around but there is so much of it. The suburbs just seem to go on and on too.
Aug 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We are going to drive to Arthurs Pass. I actually had dinner with a cousin tonight who spent 11 days on the SI all in Christchurch, Hammer Springs and Kiakora (sp?) She loved it. We may actually now head to Hammer Springs and stay one night and stay one night in Kiakora and fly to AKL from Blenheim.
Husband and son definatly like the city thing but they also like whale watching and swimming with dolphins, etc.
Cheers
Aug 11th, 2007, 01:52 AM

Hi patw -

Just a comment about Hanmer Springs, which you may already be aware of - it's a tiny little place and the main attraction is the thermal pools. If you like to walk, suggest you pop into the visitor's center and pick up a walking map, as there are a few nice treks in the area.