Search

Christchurch activities

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
wug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christchurch activities

Hi All, I'm heading to New Zealand for work and will be starting out in Christchurch. I'm thinking about going a couple of days early and doing some stuff on my own. Any suggestions? I don't want to rent a car but would love to get in some hiking/walking if possible. Is that a possibility? I'll be going to the Antarctic Center once my work begins so I don't need to do that on my own.

I was in New Zealand for vacation many years ago. My friend and I had a car and when we were in Christchurch we drove out to a place where we went paragliding. It was GORGEOUS but, we had a car so don't know if I could get out there this time.

Or, any other suggestions would be great.
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 03:40 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
There are walking opportunities in Sumner, although I've not been there since the earthquake, so I don't know the current status. Sumner is basically a suburb of Christchurch and I assume you can reach it via bus.

From Nicholson Park above Sumner Beach, you can access Taylor's Mistake Walkway, a path of switchbacks that meanders along the coastal cliffs, and eventually leads to the small seaside community of Taylor’s Mistake. It's a pretty walk overlooking the sea.

Several walks and bike trails on Godley’s Head originate from the township of Taylor's Mistake as well.

There are many walking tracks on Bank Peninsula too. You can get to Akaroa by bus, but how you get to the actual trailheads from there w/o a car I have no idea.

From Duvauchelle you can easily access the Onawe Peninsula, site of an early Maori tribal massacre. This is an excellent walk along a peninsula potruding into the bay. The 1.5 hour (return) walk is a bit steep towards the top, but the incredible views are worth it. You need to get permission to walk the track these days.

There are several walking tracks right off the Banks Peninsula Tourist Summit Road and Eastern Bay Tourist Drive, which winds along the upper rim of Banks Peninsula. Fabulous views too.

Another possibility is to go west of Christchurch to Rakaia Gorge, where you'll find a gorgeous 10.4 km walkway and jet boating opportunities. Not sure if a bus goes that way, but it's worth a look:

http://www.newzealand.com/int/articl...gorge-walkway/
Old Dec 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM

Christchurch has just had yet another earthquake this morning so you perhaps could help with mopping up the liquefaction and help with road repairs. Fortunately this time there has not been any reported deaths.
Can't they leave poor Christchurch alone as it has suffered enough this past year?
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM

Sumner was pretty badly hit in the last batch of big quakes. Some friends from there have lost their house and business.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM

All walkways around Sumner and Godley Head have been closed
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Bummer.