Catlins/Southern Scenic route ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2018, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Te Anau to Dunedin in late February. I am currently planning a one night stop somewhere along the southern route to make our drive/tour two days. I can easily add an extra day if those of you who have knowledge of the area can offer suggestions as to how best to use our time. We like to hike and sight-see. This will be our third trip to NZ, but the first time in this part of the south island. Thanks for any input regarding walks and how best to spread the drive out.
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 10:34 PM

We have dampen that route a couple of times but usually with 3-4 overnights and in the opposite direction. If you can add another day, I would. The highlights are well documented on the DOC website and on https://www.newzealand.com/ Surat Bay, Nugget Point, Maclean Falls, Cathedral Cave etc. Lots of relatively short and well signed walks along the way - we were forever stopping to explore hence the reason we took 4 days!

We were in a campervan and so stopped at a variety of freedom Camping spots and paid sites along the way but one of our favourite places was at Pounawea. Partly for the incredible sunsets and sunrises and t sites like the petrified forest nearby but also for the amazing fish and chips from a places in the nearby village of Owaka.

Some details of part of our trip on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/new-zealand/ - I have yet to add the entries for othe parts of the Catlins!
https://accidentalnomads.com/category/new-zealand/

There is also and entry there for a really nice hike from Rainbow Reach to Lake Manapouri, part of th much longer Kepler Track. It starts a few Kms out of Te Anau and is well worth the effort.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 04:01 AM

My preference is Porpoise/Curio Bay (they're adjacent) because I like staying on the beach, but some folks prefer the forest. I don't know which you'd prefer. Curio Bay is home to the petrified forest and a Hoiho/Yellow Eyed Penguin colony. Porpoise Bay is a beautiful stretch of beach and in summer Hector's Dolphins can be seen in the bay, close to shore, surfing the waves. If planning on watching the Hoiho/Yellow Eyed Penguins come ashore at Curio Bay, dress warmly.

It'll take you about three hours to drive from Te Anau to Curio Bay, going through Gore. It'll take you longer if you follow the SSR route through Invercargill, but you can stop at interesting places along the way. If you get to Porpoise Bay early enough, you can check into your accommodation (or at least ask them to hold your luggage until you can check in later), and drive to Cathedral Caves or McLean Falls, which are both about 40 minutes from Porpoise Bay. Or if you feel like walking through the Catlins forest, the Waipohatu walk is only a short drive from Porpoise Bay (but it can be muddy). Cathedral Caves is only accessible one and a half hours before low tide and up to one hour after low tide, and not before 7:30 a.m. or after 8:30 p.m. You'll walk through native forest to the caves on the beach. Please read this link: https://www.cathedralcaves.co.nz/
Here are some links for Catlins attractions:
https://www.southernscenicroute.co.n...n/the-catlins/
Official website for the Catlins, New Zealand ? Tourism and Community Information
https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-re.../?tab-id=50578
https://southlandnz.com/the-catlins
Catlins Itineraries - find your way around the Catlins - Catlins Itineraries for places to see, places to go and places to stay Catlins Map and guide
The Lost Gypsy Gallery
Downloadable maps:
Official website for the Catlins, New Zealand ? Tourism and Community Information

I'd spend a night or two in Curio Bay OR a night in Curio Bay (Southern Catlins) and another night in Kaka Point (Northern Catlins), which is near Nugget Point Lighthouse (a must). From Kaka/Nugget Point, follow the SSR to Dunedin. There are many places to stop along the way, but leave yourself enough time to explore Dunedin and/or the Otago Peninsula (if this is important to you). I live in Dunedin. What are your plans for Dunedin?

Last edited by Diamantina; Sep 10th, 2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this information, and the links. I just found out that we will be making this trip, hence the heavy reliance on Fodorites. This will be our third trip to NZ: the first was 6 weeks just the SI; the second was 6 weeks for both islands, but was cut short due to a family emergency. We spent several days in Dunedin and the Otago Peninsula our first time. Seeing the albatross was a definite highlight! This time we will only be in Dunedin for the evening before our flight to Aukland in order to finish what we missed before. Thanks again!
Old Sep 10th, 2018, 05:12 PM

"I just found out that we will be making this trip" What a pleasant surprise. You'll still have time to plan, but as you're coming at the second busiest time of year, you'll want to book the Catlins early as accommodation is limited and in high demand, especially if you choose to stay on the coast.

In Curio Bay, my husband and I have stayed at Curio Bay Salthouse and recommend it. The owner used to rent out the traditional bach next door as well, but this wasn't available on our last visit. Maybe it's rented out full-time now or perhaps she's sold it. A couple of friends who visited last summer stayed here:
https://www.curiobay.co.nz/
They loved it, mentioning that they could see the Little Blue Penguins swim ashore and cross the property's garden in the evening. They also spent a night at Kaka Point before continuing to Dunedin.
Once, when Curio Bay Salthouse was fully booked, we stayed at Waikava Harbour View, which is on the estuary. It wasn't as scenic as being on the beach, but the accommodation was nice (we rented the house, not the cottage) and quiet, though the Wi-Fi didn't work and we had to pick up the key from the Waikawa Museum (the owner was not on-site). It's a few minutes drive from Curio Bay. So it wouldn't be my first choice, but it's an option.

Morning view from Curio Bay Salthouse (file heavily reduced) :

In Dunedin, you might want to avoid staying downtown as it's mess right now due to the construction of cycle lanes, a new bus hub and the re-design of intersections. I'm not sure how long this construction will continue.

If taking the SSR from the Catlins, take care to keep following the SSR signs (the image below is from the SSR brochure):

The route will become especially confusing as you get closer to Dunedin, as there will be conflicting signs directing you to "Dunedin", which will direct you toward the busy motorway that leads to downtown Dunedin. Instead, at Lake Waihola, following the SSR signs, turn onto Finlayson Road toward the coast. This road comes out at the coast at Taieri Mouth (the mouth of NZ's fourth longest river). There's a pretty walking track that follows the river, the Taieri River Track, but it requires a bit of time to reach its best views and the track can be muddy after rains. So you probably won't have time for it. On weekends, it can get a little noisy with boaties and jet skiers.

From Taieri Mouth you'll drive 20 km. along this pretty coastline, before the SSR again briefly turns inland. But the SSR signs will shortly direct you toward the coast again onto "Blackhead Road". This is an easy turn to miss. If you follow Blackhead Road, you'll soon reach the turn off for Tunnel Beach Road. If you didn't get a chance to walk this track on your last visit to Dunedin, the track is steep, short but beautiful on a clear day. I should mention, there have been vehicle break-ins at this popular spot. From Tunnel Beach, it's only about a 15 minute drive to downtown Dunedin or about a 10 minute drive to St. Clair Beach. Tunnel Beach makes an appearance of about 15 seconds on this Singapore Airlines commercial (couple enjoying their chocolate cake on the rocky coastline):
Old Sep 11th, 2018, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, again, Diamantina!
And, my apologies for mis-spelling Auckland. I knew it didn't look right when I typed it, but couldn't get back in to make an edit.