car rental in Australia

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 09:38 AM
Muni

car rental in Australia

Hello!

Is it necessary to have an international license to rent a car in Australia? Or will a US or Canadian license suffice? Anybody know of any reasonably priced car rental agencies over there?

Cheers,
Muni

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 12:28 PM
traveller

I am not sure if Australia is the same as NZ. We rented our car prior to leaving Canada and had a van waiting for us at the Auckland airport. It wasn't new but was relatively cheap and had unlimited miles. We rented through our travel agent. We did not need anything but our Canadian driver's licence - I would bet that Australia is much the same. I know of some friends who did a "Fly and Ride", renting motorcyles in Australia (from Canada) and didn't need anything but their Canadian licences. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 07:06 PM
muni

Thanks that was helpful. Do you know of any cheap car rental places by any chance?

Muni

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Nancy

Hi Muni,

I am leaving on Monday for 3 weeks in various parts of Australia and have cars rented in Darwin, Perth and Tasmania. I did lots of searching and comparing (there are so many internet options!) and ended up renting through Hertz International (used their web page) - had great choices for vehicles and consistently reasonable (usually cheaper than competition's) prices. I am paying A$50, a day, unlimited km in two cities (Perth and Launceston), A$60 in Darwin for compact manual cars. (I could have rented a BMW Z3 in Perth for around US$80 a day - mighty tempting!) Most places have a hefty surcharge for renting to under 25s. I was told that foreign drivers don't need an international drivers licence if the original drivers license was issued in the English language. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 10:26 PM
lcuy

U.S. driver's license plus a passport is legal.