Cape Questions: Tribulation and Reinga

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just wondering about whether or not it's worth the trips to see these capes. From the map, it looks like the road to Cape Reinga isn't really along the coastline. Is that right? Is it a beautiful drive? And what about the Cape Tribulation? Is it worth a the time it would take in terms of the beauty that we'll see? Or will we see similar sites in New Zealand? Where?

I realize that this is traversing two countries, but know that some of you have done it all! Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM

The scenic coastal part of the drive to Cape Tribulation is along the coastal road south of Port Douglas and then at the Kimberly Range Lookout north of the Daintree River. The reason to do this drive is not for the ocean views but because it takes you into some rather remarkable forest. For others it is the exotic fruit and ice-creams produced from them. The cape itself is small and unspectacular but a very pleasant place.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM

I spent a long, wonderful day driving to Cape Tribulation. There was a stunning scenic overlook that was jaw-droppingly beautiful. (Can't remember where, but it was well marked and quite obvious.) Another highlight was stopping to walk along a boardwalk that took us through dense rainforest. There was no one else around and it felt like we'd gone back in time ... like a million years!

Depending on where you're starting, and how long you want to take, you could combine this with Mossman Gorge and/or a boat ride on the Daintree.

Cape Tribulation itself was "nice" -- but not "wow." The destination wasn't the point of the trip.

Haven't gotten as far north as Cape Reinga, but I've seen quite a bit of NZ and the scenery in N. Queensland is completely different from what you'll see in NZ.

You're in for a wonderful trip.
PS. Don't know if you've already booked lodging--or how deep your pockets are--but the Thala Beach Lodge was INCREDIBLE. It's very expensive, but I got a fantastic deal (last minute; off-season; mid-week) that included a phenomenal breakfast, but did not include dinner.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 06:07 AM

The drive up to Cape Trib is definitely worth it. As songdoc mentions, there are several excellent boardwalks through rainforests and mangrove forests. And the beaches are gorgeous. We even went beyond Cape Trib, renting a 4WD to tackle the Bloomfield Track north to Cooktown. (This is only feasible during the Dry Season.) We stopped at S. Cowie Beach along the way - what a beautiful place! Had it all to ourselves. Links to photos and trip report below.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CJNoonRo...Australia2008#

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...-08-part-1.cfm
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. Sounds like we definitely need to drive up to Cape Trib, with plenty of time to stop on the way and back. Ralph, your photos are great. Thanks!