Camper van camping advice South Island New Zealand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2016, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are picking up our camper van in Christchurch on Nov.16 for 14 days. We plan to go to Abel Tasman Park right away and wonder if it is advisable to book a campsite now or can you generally just get it last minute at this time of year. Any advice about booking campsites in any of the top areas would be really appreciated. We prefer to have a campsite with a fire pit if possible. Our camper has a shower but we would probably like to have a " real shower " most days. We thought we might free camp occasionally so thought it might be nice to have.
We also wonder if it is easy to book the water taxi for hikes and kayaking in Abel Tasman last minute at this time of year?

Thanks ,
Tanya
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 06:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't speak to the campsite rental (although I suspect you'll have no problems in November), but you can definitely book a water taxi on the fly.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 02:25 AM

We have spent a couple of winters in NZ in campervans. July-Aug and Aug -Sept. we did a mixture of paid sites, DOC sites (excellent!) and free camping. Never had any problems finding space. I imagine it would be busier in November but I don't think you would have too many problems. Here is a link to our blog of our trip last year which includes some photos of Abel Tasman.
https://accidentalnomads.com/category/new-zealand/

There are several campsites in Kaiteriteri . We chose Bethany but really wished we hadn't! . The Kaiterteri Beach Camp looked much better and is v close to the water taxis.

We used TOP 10 a lot and it may be worth getting their discount card which costs $40 i think. Their website should detail whether or not they have firepits. All have BBQ areas.

Also worth logging on to the DOC website fromdetails of their sites, always in great locations, and info on where free camping is allowed.

Re "real showers" depending on your van, I agree, the onboard showers are not really designed for regular use and use a lot of water! Also, they take ages to dry out, at least in winter!
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for he great advice. We really appreciate it!
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 01:35 AM

Hello, can you help me with a 7day iteneary from auckland in Jan2017 . We want to do the Milford soundscruise, TranzAlpine journey,Franz Josef Glacier,Queenstown, and Shotover Jet Ride.
Can you suggest how I go about it... will be really helpful.
Stell
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 01:37 AM

Hello, can you help me with a 7day iteneary from auckland in Jan2017 . We want to do the Milford soundscruise, TranzAlpine journey,Franz Josef Glacier,Queenstown, and Shotover Jet Ride.
Can you suggest how I go about it... will be really helpful.
Stell
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 05:16 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Stell - I responded to your question on another thread.