Cairns Dengue Fever

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cairns Dengue Fever

Planning a visit to Cairns and then North to Port Douglas and Cooktown in October 2009. I'm a bit concerned with what I've read about the Dengue Fever outbreak earlier this year. Does anyone know the current status? Also, regarding the mosquitoes in the area, are they around all year or are certain months worse than others?

-Ian
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Pretty sure the DF outbreak was declared over a couple of months back with no new cases or very low numbers if any reported.

October is a good time to go and whilst you can get mosquitoes about in more tropical climates almost anytime, they are not a huge problem if you take precautions and certainly through the day you would hardly notice them.

Most reasonable accommodation places will have good screening and outside it's usually like anywhere, more the last couple of daylight hours you need to be aware of.

Use a bit of repellant and have some long sleeved/legged garb to put on just in case you find you're somewhere they are more prevalent.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 08:03 PM

As it is not yet three months since the last case the outbreak has not been declared over. It must be approaching that time limit though. October is near the end of the dry season so very few mosquitos anywhere.

Good advice to avoid all mosquito bites but be reasonable about it and don't kill yourself with insecticide. The thing is to avoid being bitten during the day in town areas where the general environmental hygene is not up to scratch. The mosquitos which bite you in the forest or at night won’t have dengue.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 10:54 PM

Sorry Saltuarius but you are not quite correct in saying that mosquitoes which bite at night or in the forest won't have dengue - they most certainly "can" carry it. Mosquitoes can and do live in epiphytes which grow in the trees in forest areas and non-urban areas. Throughout the world there are 50 - 100 Million reported cases of dengue each year and even the USA has areas which are effected by it, as is all of Mexico and Central America, the Carribean, and tropical South America, Africa, Asia etc etc.
Prevention is the best method as listed by the above posters, be sure that your insect repellant has DEET in it as well. October is a great month to visit North Queensland so don't be put off by an insect.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:36 PM

There was an outbreak of dengue earlier in year, after a short but fairly heavy wet season, but no new cases reported over last few months. As far as am aware, no tourists contacted dengue, due very much to the fact that resorts, hotels, B&B's, caravan parks etc are very conscious of the impact of dengue and take necessary precautions; most of the dengue cases were traced back to homes in suburbs with poor property maintenance; ie, those who allow water to collect around their homes to provide breeding grounds for the dengue carrying mozzie. Even at the height of outbreak, there were no dengue cases recorded in Cairns CBD, a few in Port Douglas and none reported in Cooktown.

As others have pointed out, October is end of dry season so mozzie population reduced, but better to be safe than sorry. Bushman and Rid are personal insect repellents containing DEET and are widely available, they both come in an aerosol or roll-on form, if using Rid I'd be inclined to go for the roll-on, or at least hold your breath when using the aerosol, its pretty powerful stuff.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Probably Townsville to south over declaration that may have made the news.
Latest from Qld. dept of health - http://www.health.qld.gov.au/dengue/...te/current.asp

You would think they would have to be getting close to declaring it over if the figures reported are anything to go on and interestingly QH report 909 for Cairns area as at 02 July
Wheras in April it seems there had been 935 cases according to
http://www.panbiodengue.com/story/de...worst-20-years .
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM

ivenotbeeneverywhere, the only places we have epiphytes holding free water around here in north Queensland is where people are growing exotics i.e. in populated areas. While Aedes aegypti have certainly been caught after dark and like to hang out in heavy shade, I have not heard of them biting after dark. Do you have a reference to that, anywhere? My posting was made in the context of the question about a Dengue outbreak in north Queensland, not the rest of the world.
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Aedes aegypti Saltuarius is one of two types of mosquitoe which can deliver Dengue fever and as such are found in most tropical areas of the World. You only have to search the date from WHO to get the information on its coverage. As to epiphytes holding free water in North Queensland - just about anywhere in the forested areas you will find Bromiliades, Bird's Nests and the like as you well know and those hold water.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM

It pays to have mosquito protection in tropical areas. It's not just dengue but Ross River virus and others. Be cautious but don't let these put you off travelling.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 12:26 AM

ivenotbeeneverywhere,
What is the other vector of Dengue in Australia. Bromiliads are not native to Australia, nor are they naturalised, and birds nest ferns do not hold free water which would allow Aedes aegypti (A. a.) to breed. A. a. is the only vector in the Cairns area which is the topic of this conversation (see title) until broadened by you. I am still willing to be informed of A. a. biting at night or of any other vector in the Cairns area.

You have claimed that I am wrong but then ask me to provide the evidence. You then go on to make other false claims about my 'well knowing' nonsense about epiphytes. Put up or ...
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM

I could ignore you Saltuarius, I could argue with you or I could tell you to read the information put out by WHO on Dengue, which incidently is found in quite western regions of north Queensland as well as the coast. I have no idea where you get your information but I do think that the Scientific information that is available in all forms may enlighten you should you feel inclined to read the various research articles for yourself as I have no intention of being your tutor. That will also improve your understanding of the disease and its spread together with a more informed idea of science in general.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 10:02 PM

The mosquito that carries dengue is highly domesticated and depends on man for survival. So would not matter what plants live in the rainforest when no man does. It may bite at night but would be unusual.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Kriol,
Thank you for your confirmation of what I understand to be true.

So after your comments and my research mentioned below I stand by my statement that you will not get dengue from mosquito bites in the rainforest or at night. I might now qualify it to state that if one was to stand in the rainforest beside a streetlight near a poorly maintained human dwelling on the edge of Cairns it is remotely possible that you could be bitten by an Aedes aegypti mosquito and there is a slight chance that that mosquito is carrying the beginning of a new outbreak of dengue fever. I would rather bet on Australia winning the second cricket test at Lords!

ivenotbeeneverywhere stated that they do bite at night and I have indeed found a reference to them biting at night under artificial conditions. Several medical generalist sites recommend not being bitten at night but do not state that A. a. does bite at night. I was not interested in the precautionary approach taken by some junior medical bureaucrat. A. nocturnus does bite at night but that is not relevant to a discussion of dengue or Cairns. The above mentioned correspondent has not delivered anything to back the claims made on this thread.

ivenotbeeneverywhere also stated that, “As to epiphytes holding free water in North Queensland - just about anywhere in the forested areas you will find Bromiliades, Bird's Nests and the like as you well know and those hold water.” Bromeliads (note spelling ivenotbeeneverywhere if you are not ignoring this thread) are not native to or naturalised in Australia. If by ‘Birds Nests’ he/she means those ferns of the genus Asplenium which have short stipes and long, wide fronds, A. nidus and A. australasicum I thought I should test his/her assertions and my understanding of the facts. [This in the cause of science where I have an apparent lack of understanding] With a garden hose at full pressure and a rain sprinkler attached I applied water directly into the crown of an A. n. where it did not pool. Thinking that this was not enough of a test I poured from a bucket (you know the rain can really bucket down in the tropics) 10 litres of water into the already soaked fern. The pool of water which formed was gone within 4.5 seconds, not enough time for Aedes aegypti to breed me thinks.

“Aedes aegypti Saltuarius is one of two types of mosquitoe which can deliver Dengue fever and as such are found in most tropical areas of the World.” He/she is right here but again not relevant to a discussion of dengue fever in Cairns as A. albopictus is not found in the area.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM

" I would rather bet on Australia winning the second cricket test at Lords! "
Great to see such confidence Salty, and shall I start reefing out the Broms! or lets just knock over those Poms.
Old Jul 18th, 2009, 08:13 PM

Because there was a health threat of dengue in Cairns the health authorities there took great precautions to eradicate the pest by enforcing people to clean any containers holding water around the homes, removing dead fronds of palms and checking bromiliads and other water containing plants around the suburban gardens. Spraying was done around the city and outlying areas and the spread of the disease was contained over a fairly short period. So in point of fact the safest place would be Cairns because of all the safeguards in place.
I have not disagreed with the suggestion that they only bite during the day or are domesticated - in the main they are domesticated and they do bite during the day but they also can bite during other times and will of course pick up the disease from a carrier person if that person is as far out west as Mt Isa. The disease was not only in the Cairns region and whilst there was only one vector detected this year the potential for the other Asian mosquitoe to get a toe hold into Australia other than where it already is i.e. the Torris St. Islands which are a part of Australia is also on the cards and all it will take to start that one off is for it to fly south a bit.
The following is "cut and paste" from the Queensland Government's website. Unfortunately the maps of the regions of disease was not transmitted with the pasting which showed the 4/5th of Queensland is/was involved.
As for bromiliades not holding water or being a risk around the house - the Queensland Government seems to think so even if Saltaurus does not so perhaps he/she can argue the issue with them and not me.
Where is the dengue mosquito found in Australia?

On the mainland of North Queensland, one mosquito transmits the dengue virus: Aedes aegytpi (dengue mosquito).

In Australia, this mosquito is currently only found in inland and coastal population centres of Queensland. There is a potential however for Aedes aegypti to establish itself in other areas such as the Northern Territory, Western Australia, South-east Queensland and New South Wales.

top of page

How can I tell if it's a dengue mosquito?

The dengue mosquito looks like many other mosquitoes in north Queensland so it is difficult for the layperson to identify without the use of a microscope. As a rule of thumb, if you have mosquitoes biting you indoors during the day in north Queensland, it is likely that they are dengue mosquitoes.

The dengue mosquito (Aedes aegypti) can more readily be identified by its behaviour. Look for these signs:

It likes to live indoors and bite people indoors
It is hard to catch; it moves very quickly, darting back and forth
It likes to hide under furniture and bite people around the feet and ankles
Its bite is often relatively painless, so people may not notice they are being bitten or they may think they are being bitten by sandflies/biting midges.
The adult mosquito prefers to rest in dark areas inside and under houses and buildings. Favourite resting spots are under beds, tables and chairs; in wardrobes and closets; on piles of dirty laundry and shoes; inside open containers; in dark and quiet rooms; and even on dark objects such as clothing or furniture.

The dengue mosquito prefers to bite humans during daylight. It is very cautious when biting, flying away quickly at the slightest disturbance. An effective way to kill adult mosquitoes is to apply a residual insecticide (cockroach surface spray) onto the areas where they prefer to rest.

Where does the dengue mosquito live?

The dengue mosquito is sometimes dubbed the ‘cockroach of mosquitoes’ because it is truly domesticated and prefers to live in and around people’s homes. It does NOT breed in swamps or drains, and does not often bite at night.

Where are the dengue mosquito breeding sites?

The dengue mosquito frequents backyards in search of containers holding water inside and outside the home, such as:

cans
buckets
jars
vases
pot plant dishes
birdbaths
boats
tyres – discarded with no rims
roof gutters blocked by leaves
striking containers (used to strike plants)
tarpaulins and black plastic.
It can also breed in natural containers like:

bromeliads
fallen palm fronds.
In drier conditions it also breeds in water in subterranean sites such as:

wells
telecommunication pits
sump pits
gully traps.

The dengue mosquito does not fly very far, so if you get rid of mosquito breeding sites around your home, you will significantly reduce your risk of being bitten by dengue mosquitoes.

For more information view the Guide to the prevention of dengue mosquito breeding.

How do dengue mosquitoes transmit dengue?

Dengue mosquitoes are common in Queensland but usually do not carry dengue. A female mosquito can only become infected with dengue after biting an infected human who is viraemic with dengue (ie. there are enough dengue virus particles in the person’s blood to infect a mosquito).
An infected person can transmit dengue to mosquitoes at home, at work or anywhere they visit. This can happen within 3-4 days of being bitten and can continue to do so up to 12 days.

Dengue is not spread directly from person to person.
In 8-10 days the infected mosquito is able to transmit the virus to other people. Thus the cycle of transmission takes only 14 days. One dengue-infected female mosquito is capable of biting and infecting several people during one feeding session.

top of page

Where is the Asian tiger mosquito found in Australia?

In 2005, the Asian tiger mosquito was found in the Torres Strait islands on the northern tip of Australia. The Asian tiger mosquito is an introduced species that can transmit dengue. It is notorious for rapidly colonising new geographic areas, including colder climates. If this species becomes established on mainland Australia it would become a pest and dengue risk to a much larger part of Australia. The Australian Commonwealth Government and Queensland Health commenced an Aedes albopictus (Asian tiger mosquito) control program in 2005.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:55 PM

Bushranger,
I grow broms and have Aedes aegypti in the garden from time to time. When ever there is an outbreak and during the wet season I apply an insecticide to the broms.

Interesting umpiring decissions again making for an exciting test series in the UK.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks ivenotbeeneverywhere, I've read those pages and I reread them along with others when you failed to take up my challenge to show me a reference to A.a. biting at night anywhere in the world.

I do not want to ignore you but find it tedious in the extreme to go over your statements for relevance and contradictions. suggest you re-read the whole thread starting with the title of the original post.

Do you concur with the following statement? "If one was to stand in the rainforest beside a streetlight near a poorly maintained human dwelling on the edge of Cairns it is remotely possible that you could be bitten by an Aedes aegypti mosquito and there is a slight chance that that mosquito is carrying the beginning of a new outbreak of dengue fever."
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 06:15 PM

get stuffed Saltaurius. Is it you need recognition or plain bloody mindedness? Either way go get therapy
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM

ivenotbeeneverywhere, Thank you for asking but as you know what I know and think, isn't that redundant?

"ivenotbeeneverywhere on Jul 15, 09 at 02:03 AM
... epiphytes holding free water in North Queensland - just about anywhere in the forested areas you will find Bromiliades, Bird's Nests and the like AS YOU WELL KNOW [my emphasis] and those hold water.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 08:21 PM

the outbreak is now officially over. I live in Cairns and read this in the cairns newspaper a couple of days age, for more info on mossies and prevention see http://www.visitcairns.com.au/generalinfo.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -