Cairns as homebase...

Jan 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

Cairns as homebase...

My dad and I will be in Cairns for several days following one week + in New Zealand. Looking for advice on what highlights we should focus on before we head home ... assistance appreccciated.
Jan 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM

Kriskay,
what are your interests?
If wildlife then head for the Atherton Tablelands. If diving ...

Search this site for information on Cairns, there is plenty of it.
Jan 19th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Do you want to stay all the time in Cairns? If not, you could check out Chillagoe where it is the opposite of New Zealand--hot and dry and a desert beauty. They have limestone outcroppings all over the place and tours of limestone caves. If you stay at Chillagoe Cabins, you'll get fabulous meals and you can hire Gary for a great tour of the area including a stop at a guy's place (I forget his name) who is world famous for collecting old Fords. Your dad might like that if he remembers the 50's Fords. See my trip report for more description and other places around Cairns. You can click on my name and scroll down and find the trip reports. Other places to research include the Undara Lava Tubes, which we didn't go to but are reported to be interesting. However, if you are at all inclined to see the GBR, I would recommend that over all other places. Also the Daintree with a guide. Happy planning!
Sally in Seattle, gray, cold and wishing we were going to Cairns
Jan 21st, 2008, 11:18 AM

You should consider staying in Palm Cove or Port Douglas rather than Cairns. Cairns is a city atmosphere - hustle, bustle, touristy, while Palm Cove and Port Douglas are more inviting vacation communities. You'll find nice resort hotels up there as well as apartment complexes and B&Bs. Both locations are actually closer to the rain forest and reef than Cairns, so leaving on excursions from there is never a problem.
Jan 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM

There are lots of ideas here <http://www.cairns.aust.com/>.
Jan 21st, 2008, 02:33 PM

Cairns city has a city atmosphere because it is a city, a small but very fast growing one. Plenty of nightlife and vast selection of restaurants, bars, etc.

If you stay at Palm Cove which is a Cairns' suburb you'll have to travel about half an hour back to Cairns city as its where the majority of reef trips leave, and the distance and time from Cairns to reef is about the same as from Port Douglas. This depends on speed of boat you choose and which part of reef you visit.

Whilst Port Douglas is closer to Daintree Rainforest, Cairns has other World Heritage rainforest on its doorstep - and Wooroonooran National Park is just to its south. As are Frankland Islands, easy access to Atherton Tableland and of course, the Kuranda Scenic Railway/Skyrail/Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park.

But its hard to help you Kriskay, without knowing your interests.