Search

best times for NZ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best times for NZ?

Hi all,

I know November-Jan are supposed to be the best times to go to NZ, but how late into the next year can you travel, and still have nice weather? Is as late as April out of the question if you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors? I am hoping for Feb or March, but just checking right now...

thank you!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Hi there Flygirl,

Weather can be a funny old thing here in New Zealand. Last summer (2003/2004) started really well very hot in January and then it turned to Custard in February with some of the worst flooding seen in the lower South Island in 50 years.

However, 50 year flooding events don't happen every year. As such generally February and March are two of the most settled months. February can be very warm with temps reaching into the 90's F on the East coast of the South Island.

March is a little cooler but still usually very pleasant. The North Island usuallt stays warmer than the South Island longer. April can be mixed. It has been warm enough here in Auckland for me to get into the pool and it has to be warm for me to do that. But by the end of April autumn is well and truely upon us. The likelihood of rain is higher and temps are markedly cooler.

If you can, aim to get here in February or March. That way you should catch the more settled weather. There is also another bonus point with these two months. School holidays are over so it is easier to find accomodation.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 06:49 PM

steve-

people in auckland have pools? really? i thought it was always too cold to swim there (unless you are a penguin?)\

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Hi KeriKeri

Sometimes I wonder if the darn thing is not just a glorified water feature in the back garden. We have not been able to get into it yet because it still is not warm enough, so the swimming season for us is likely to be cut to an even shorter length this summer. We looked at heating it this year but put it off. Oh how I regret that now.

Oh well if we did not have it just think, where would all the neighbours leaves go if they were not in our pool.

Steve
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Feb and March are great months for travelling NZ. Generally late summer / early autumn is pretty good weatherwise but when it comes to the weather ... who ever knows whats going to happen.

April may be a bit cooler but the weather should still be okay for outdoor activities in most places. NZ weather is not too extreme compared to some countries.

Stick to your Feb/March/April plans and I'm sure you won't have too many problems overall.

Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:58 PM

well, fingers crossed for some warm weather for you, steve (or extremely cold- an ice rink is handy to have, too).

kerikeri