Search

help with resort in Fiji

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:40 PM
inez

help with resort in Fiji

We are split between Maravu and Matangi resorts. We are very interested in snorkeling, good food and tropical drinks, and a beautiful bure (one with an open air shower if possible). This is for our honeymoon trip and we want it to be special! <BR> <BR>Thanks to all who reply.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Louise

I have not been to Maravu but I can tell you that Matangi is wonderful. They have a special honeymoon bure which I did not see but the bure we stayed in was beautiful. Right on the beach with swaying palm trees all around. There is a lagoon you may be taken to which is reserved for your use only. The staff is wonderful - every day we threw dirty clothes in a basket and they came back at night freshly washed. We did not have an open shower but maybe the honeymoon bure does. The staff will also take you anywhere you want to snorkel. Have a wonderful honeymoon wherever you decide upon.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 06:48 PM
Louis

Why you want an open air shower is beyond me. While we have had minimal problems in Fiji, in the Caribbean we had to beat off the mosquitos to use an out door shower. We also are not familiar re Maravu. However, my wife and I love Matangi. They have built a second tree house for honeymoon trips per a friend in New Zealand that is close to the family that owns the island. Depending on your tastes, we would like bure No. 6 compared to the original tree house for less money. Snorkeling thoughout Fiji is so-so but that is beginning to be the case throughout the world. A word of warning. Matangi has a lot of repeat customers for diving and special events and they have little space. When we wanted to go there last May they were booked until September so we had to chose an alternative which was ok but it was not Matangi. Matangi is one of the top values in Fiji for both divers and honeymooners.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 08:07 PM
Peggy

Louis, <BR>I've noticed though many months of posts, we seem to have vacationed at alot of the same places in the world. Out of curiosity, where in Fiji did you go as an alternative that you were not satisfied with? I am planning a return trip in the spring & am looking at all the options. Have you heard anything on the newly opened Rainbow Reef Resort? <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 06:52 PM
Paula

I have not been to the resorts your mentioned but I did go to Tokoriki Island in May and it was lovely. They did have the Deluxe Beach Bure with an open air shower and it was fabulous. They also have two honeymoon Bure's which looked quite nice. Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 05:58 PM
Louis

Paula in answer to your question: <BR> <BR>Other that overnight and day rooms near the airport on Viti Levu we have had only three experiences in Fiji. We have stayed at Matangi Resort, Marlin Bay on Beqa island (http://www.marlinbay.com) and we have taken the 6 night Blue Lagoon Cruise. There has been nothing that has not been to our liking, however Matangi meets our tastes better than Marlin Bay. Both are most likely fully booked into the year 2000. Last May Marlin Bay was a real bargain. Now I notice that they don't even post a rate and Matangi rates seem to have gone up. Last May Matangi was fully booked until Sept. <BR> <BR>I have looked at Rainbow Reef Resort and it looks attractive and the prices are are also attractive. It is on the next largest island and you will get more rain on that side than the other side but you will be able to visit item typical of village culture. If your interest is primarily diving I would pick another resort but for broad based interests it might be a great value. I don't think there are any questional area of Fiji other than the resort areas near Nadi or the close off shore islands. They are more in the USA resort standard which I think are not our interests. <BR> <BR>We enjoyed the Blue Lagoon Cruise but the short cruise will give a good feel of the Tasawa islands. They are all very similar. From our tastes, avoid their fancy ship. It is more like a cruise ship which would be the last thing we would pick. I visited it part way through our cruise. If you want total AC and elevators it is OK. We hate AC. At least I do and my wife will have to speak for herself. <BR> <BR>Our only experience with the island near the location of Rainbow Reef is where we landed on the way to Taveuni. I must say there are a lot of palm plantations on that side of the island. The resort is much further up island. <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 06:09 PM
Louis

Paula in answer to your question: <BR> <BR>Other that overnight and day rooms near the airport on Viti Levu we have had only three experiences in Fiji. We have stayed at Matangi Resort, Marlin Bay on Beqa island (http://www.marlinbay.com) and we have taken the 6 night Blue Lagoon Cruise. There has been nothing that has not been to our liking, however Matangi meets our tastes better than Marlin Bay. Both are most likely fully booked into the year 2000. Last May Marlin Bay was a real bargain. Now I notice that they don't even post a rate and Matangi rates seem to have gone up. Last May Matangi was fully booked until Sept. <BR> <BR>I have looked at Rainbow Reef Resort and it looks attractive and the prices are are also attractive. It is on the next largest island and you will get more rain on that side than the other side but you will be able to visit item typical of village culture. If your interest is primarily diving I would pick another resort but for broad based interests it might be a great value. I don't think there are any questional area of Fiji other than the resort areas near Nadi or the close off shore islands. They are more in the USA resort standard which I think are not our interests. <BR> <BR>We enjoyed the Blue Lagoon Cruise but the short cruise will give a good feel of the Tasawa islands. They are all very similar. From our tastes, avoid their fancy ship. It is more like a cruise ship which would be the last thing we would pick. I visited it part way through our cruise. If you want total AC and elevators it is OK. We hate AC. At least I do and my wife will have to speak for herself. <BR> <BR>Our only experience with the island near the location of Rainbow Reef is where we landed on the way to Taveuni. I must say there are a lot of palm plantations on that side of the island. The resort is much further up island. <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Louis

Sorry about the duplicate postings. I canceled twice due to lack of response as I did not want to lose the message.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 08:05 PM
Louis

Sorry again. The previous posting were for Peggy.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 10:19 AM
Peggy

Louis........ <BR>Thanks so much for the reply. As i stated in the new post "Best Resort in Fiji", we are considering Matagi, Vatulele & possibly Wayaka Club, though the Wayaka Club sounds to be a bit stuffy & not as laid back & informal as our tastes prefer on a vacation..........no long pants or shoes it I can help it! At Matagi (or Matangi!)is Bure 6 more secluded; does it have a view of the beach? How were the dining arrangements? <BR>Thanks again for any info! Peggy <BR>