Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Best place to live-Indonesia, Malaysia or Singapore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 1998, 10:48 AM
Gigi

Know we are moving to SE Asia in 12 to 18 mo. and may have some input into which country. Any input regarding quality of life, cost of living, etc. would definitely help with the decision process. Thanks in advance!

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 06:40 PM
SL

Your message is very vague. I have lived in Malaysia (East) and Singapore n will leave the Indonesia part to other ( maybe you should consider the recent riot in Indonesia n the country it going into economic recession... if you are extremely well off then you can live like a king..... ). <BR> <BR>Malaysia (kuching) - great place. Great food n friendly people. The cost of living is not that high, and so's the salary but with the salary you have, you can buy two car. Relax atmosphere. Job wise.... better get one before you come here. <BR> <BR>Singapore - standard of living is high here. Everything is expensive, cars, housing, food are expensive but you can find a lot of expatriate still living here because its safe, people here speak good singaporean English. No need to have a car use public transport, MRT etc. Job wise you get better regional exposure here, work pace here is tough too..... you need to pick up as soon as you go to a company... they do not expect you to hang around 6 months to learn. <BR> <BR>Kuala Lumpur - I say try Singapore as the currency is much better. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 11:31 PM
Leigh

I'd go with Malaysia, I've been living in KL for 2 years now and have visited Singapore, which is great but I really enjoy having a car and driver. Eating out is cheap too.

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 02:55 AM
LY

Hello. Greetings from Singapore. I'm a Malaysian Chinese now residing in spore. If you are looking for a lot of creatures comfort viz. great car, big house with garden & lots of empty place, try Damansara Utama, Shah Alam. All these residence are in KL, MSIA. The cost of living is almost similar to Spore. However, if you dont mind forsaking all the above mentioned, then Spore is a place where I think is pretty cool... relatively safer, very systematic, orderly. Then again as mentioned, employers wont ask you to stick around for 6 months to learn the ropes. E-mail to us if you need help on Spore & Msia. Sorry.. cant comment abt I'nesia though. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 01:38 PM
Michael

Singapore is easily the best choice in the region out of the countries mentioned. Both Indonesia & Malaysia are going through political and economical change that will continue to de-stabilise the environments there. They are all great countries but for an overall standard of living then Singapore is the pick

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 10:09 AM
Les Feinstein

Try this Web site: <BR> <BR>http://www.travel-library.com/asia/s...ath/index.html <BR> <BR>It's written by an expat living is S'pore, and it's sort of a sketchy diary of his stay. Very interesting (although only one man's opinion). Of particular interest (to me) was the last chapter, written as he was leaving S'pore. Where all of the previous chapters were informative and somewhat benign concerning his feelings about S'pore, perhaps this last chapter expresses his true opinions(?). <BR> <BR>In any case, I found it interesting, and it might give you some help choosing where you want to live.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 11:31 PM
Gigi

To everyone who responded--Thanks for all of your help, especially wonderful Leigh, for all the extra info. Just to let you all know, it turns out we're going to Malaysia in November! I've learned quite a lot since I first posted this message. Thanks again.