Barrier reef,snorkelling

Jan 27th, 2004, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Barrier reef,snorkelling

Have just posted this message once but it seems to have disappeared, appologies if it is now duplicated!
We are visiting POrt Douglas in July(From UK)
Really looking forward to going to GBR but have not snorkelled before.Have the added problem that we are both short sighted. Have read that it is possible to wear daily lenses and snorkel, does anyone have any experience with this?
Will probably do a Quicksilver trip as we have an older relative going with us who will not swim. How are they with novice snorkellers?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Julie
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:30 AM
ALF

Quicksilver is great with novice snorkelers - will give you all the instruction you need. They also have a selection of prescription masks that should allow you to see the reef!
Jan 27th, 2004, 06:34 AM

Juliewood57,

My dive shop recommended to me that I use a diver's mask over my contacts for snorkling - because the diver mask fits more tightly. The clerk said that he always used the divers mask over his contacts, and he never had a water leakage problem. I tried on a diver's mask at the shop, and inhaled and the seal appeared to be very tight.

Jean
Jan 27th, 2004, 10:07 AM

>>>>>>we have an older relative going with us who will not swim<<<<<<

This individual can see the reef from a glass bottomed boat, no problem. That is a service that Quicksilver offers (and I'm sure several other companies do too).
Jan 27th, 2004, 01:28 PM

All the reef operators are experienced with handling novice snorkellers, Quicksilver does have a semi-submersible as well as a glass-bottom boat.
Jan 27th, 2004, 07:49 PM

My husband is very nearsighted and was content with the free prescription mask available on both boats we went out on.

The huge Quicksilver boat is really the best (only) bet for a nonswimmer who wants to take a boat out and see the reef.

The snorkeling we did at the outer reef (we took the Poseidon boat) was absolutely fabulous! The colors and life were amazing. We were, however, in very deep water, and only confident swimmers would feel comfortable.

Do take seasickness medicine ahead of time if you are at all prone to such problems. The boat trip out can be rough. But it's worth it. The medicine only works well taken ahead of time. By the time you feel sick, it's too late! The boats also hand out free ginger tablets, but I'm not convinced ginger is all that helpful. Maybe for some.
Jan 28th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.It is good to know that we will be able to hire prescription snorkel masks,did,'t really want to have to buy one.I ma hoping that we can do a Quicksilver tour and maybe fit in a smaller tour too if we enjoy the snorkelling. Chickend out of snorkelling at Disney Typhoon lagoon!
Have been reading quite a bit about it being windy in Port Douglas in July,hope we have good weather.
Thanks again.
Julie