Search

Bali Hotel Options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 10:40 AM
Mona

Bali Hotel Options

I have 2 options for Bali, either the Hyatt (not the Grand Hyatt unfortunately) or the Hilton. Does anyone have any opinions. I would prefer not to stay in a hotel chain but my travelling partner likes the big hotels, so which would be the most 'Bali' like. Are they both on the beach, etc.

Thanks,

Mona

Old Mar 27th, 1998, 01:37 PM
Les Feinstein

I assume that you're referring to the Hilton at Nusa Dua. We stayed there last October. The hotel is very nice, huge grounds, beautifully landscaped, and very nice rooms. Several restaurants (4, I think). The hotel is on the beach (I think it's not a private beach, although there are only other hotels on that strtch of beach, so you don't have walk-on crowds). I found that the beach was VERY affected by the tides; when the tide was out, it was WAY out - almost to the reef - leaving basically mud flats not suitable for swimming. When the tide was in, it was OK. I was told that this was not normal - blame it on El Nino. Who knows?
The Nusa Dua area itself is a "groomed" tourist area - but very nicely done and pleasant.

As for the Hyatt, there was one just down the beach from the Hilton, but I don't know if it was the Grand Hyatt. We had lunch there, but never saw the rooms. The grounds were also very attractive (actually, all the hotels we saw at Nusa Dua had attractive grounds).

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 28th, 1998, 07:11 AM
Gary Kaczmarek

My wife and I spent a few weeks in Bali last year. We traveled the entire island with a hired car and driver.(good idea) If you really want the flavor of Bali, I suggest you select a hotel of smaller perportions in the smaller wonderful communities around the island. Rooms are easy to find at terribly reasonable rates. We felt the Hyatt and the Hilton are overpriced and you tend to lose touch wit the culture. Have fun!

Old Mar 29th, 1998, 09:21 AM
Mona

I have hotel awards for free nights at both the Hilton and the Hyatt,so I am trying to decide which one I should use. Thanks for the info.

Mona

Old Mar 31st, 1998, 05:42 AM
joelle

We stayed five years ago at the Bali Hyatt in Sanur and the experience was very good. Very nice garden and swimming-pool. The nearby beach was not private, so not well kept. Restaurants were excellent and food was safe (an important issue). Our room was very nice and the hotel staff cheerful. I know the hotel recently underwent major renovations, so comfort should even be better. Sanur is the first resort town on the island of Bali, so you will find many buildings dating from the sixties/seventies. But in a way, it has more soul than Nusa Dua on the south part of the island, which was created in the eighties (I hope I am not mistaken) to gather the tourists in an area where they would not spoil too much the everyday life. The island certainly changed since my visit, but this was one of our most wonderful trips ever.