Search

Australia's Coast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 09:50 AM
Amanda

Australia's Coast

We are Americans planning to honeymoon in Australia in mid-January 2000. Sadly, we will only have about 2-2 and 1/2 weeks. We very much would like to see as much of Australia's coast as possible, and are active people who enjoy touring, hiking, river-rafting, etc. We are not too interested in crowded, touristy locations -- we always seem to enjoy small towns, local get-aways, and hidden treasures more than hoards of people staring at the same rock formation. <BR> <BR> For the early part of our honeymoon, we'd like to enjoy some luxury and rest and relaxation -- we were thinking about Bedarra Island or Lizard or the like. (Suggestions appreciated.) Then, we'd like to rent a car and head down the coast, with the ultimate goal of ending up in Sydney. We are also willing to fly for a portion or portions of this trip -- but are not certain which parts merit driving (those parts with small towns, wonderful beaches) versus which parts we should fly. I.e. -- should we fly from Cairns to Brisbane? Brisbane to Sydney? Both? We are very unsure of the distances between, and the potential travel time by either car or plane. And are trains an option? a good option? Thanks so much for any assistance. <BR> <BR>--Amanda

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 04:09 PM
Janet

Amanda, <BR> <BR>I live along one of the most beautiful coast lines in the world, "The Great Ocean Road". Along this road are amazing cliff formations, beautiful inlets, rainforest areas, and beautiful towns. <BR> <BR>There amazing walks through the Otway Ranges, and other National Parks. <BR> <BR>The Great Ocean Road is in the state of Victoria and is about a 2 hour drive from Melbourne <BR> <BR>Hope that whatever you plan you have a wonderful time <BR> <BR>Janet

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 06:25 PM
Peg

Amanda, The time of the year you are planning is summer in Oz,and school holidays. The weather up north, near the islands you mention is the 'wet' season. South Australia, Victoria, aand Tasmania have drier weather at that time of the year and offer heaps of experiences that you are describing. A good place to start your searches is www.looksmart.com.au Peg.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 12:10 PM
Vickie

How about Hayman Island - upscale, luxurious, high quality - perfect for a honeymoon! I stayed at the Brampton Island Resort (closer to McKay), which I was told is a favorite spot for newlyweds, but was not terribly impressed. Grounds were somewhat scruffy, food was average - I think there are better places for same $$. I flew from the US to Cairns, stayed several days (definitely worthwhile - rented a car and drove to Port Douglas, took catamaran trips to Reef, then took puddle-jumper to McKay. From there, a quick hop to the island. After 5 days, flew to Sydney and spent another 5 days there. Sydney is wonderful - lots of interesting neighborhoods to walk around (Paddington, Glebe, Darling Point) in addition to the more touristy-areas. Taronga Park Zoo was worthwhile - took a ferry there and back. Also, a harbor cruise is a "can't miss." A new attraction is climbing the Harbor Bridge - you put on a special suit, and gear and walk the girders! <BR> <BR>So, my thoughts are...fly to Cairns and see North Queensland, then fly to Sydney and get to know the city, plus some day trips.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 10:03 PM
Tiana

Hi Amanda <BR> <BR>If you are after an island destination, I have heard Bedarra is very luxurious and exclusive. However, I cannot speak highly enough of Heron Island. It is one of only 3 islands directly on the reef (ie. you don't have to take a 2 hour catamaran trip if you want to go snorkelling, you can go straight off the beach or take a 5 minute boat trip to the "outer reef" for truly spectacular snorkelling) The daily price is also all inclusive with all meals included and the food is great (and I am a bit fussy) My husband and I have been there twice and would go back again. Heron Island is 7 hours drive north from Brisbane (1 hr flight) and to get to the island you can either take the catamaran (2 hrs) or helicopter. The helo is more expensive but you can't beat that flight out over the reef even if you just go one way - truly beautiful! I am happy to help you with any more info on the island you may wish. My husband and I have been snorkelling in Vanuatu, Fiji and lots of locations in Queensland and have found nowhere to beat Heron Island. There are 4 different levels of accommodation on Heron - if you want some luxury and to treat yourself, that is certainly possible. I can help with what level of accommodation to request (the most expensive is not necessarily the best) and where to request it (some places on the island are better for views etc) As for flying, as much as the cost is an issue, if you have a limited time, I would advise it. The scenery between Cairns and Sydney is nothing to write home about and Brisbane to Sydney alone is 15 hours by car. (Brisbane is my home town and half way between Sydney and Cairns) <BR> <BR>If you want any more info, please get in touch. I am pleased to help and hope you have a lovely honeymoon!