Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australia, Sydney, Great Barrier Reef etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 1997, 09:45 AM
Eleanore

At Sydney Airport, go to the Hotel Reservations Desk, these people are VERY helpful. While there, buy a pass for the Red Bus that runs around Sydney you can get on and off the bus all day long to see the sights in Sydney and the bus runs quite frequently. I bought a 3-day pass and should have had a 5-day one. Take a tour that goes to the 3 Sisters in the Mountains outside Sydney. Spectacular. Also, they take you to zoo of sorts, where you can mingle with Koalas, and different types of kangaroos, while I was there, they had a Tasmanian Devil. I spent 5 days in Sydney and it wasn't enough time. Am returning in Sept. If you want further info. feel free to E-mail me. ENJOY. Also, there is more info on the Barrier Reef on one of the Messages from Trini. He just spent time on the Barrier Reef in Oct. He has lots of info. and I'm sure he'll gladly pass it on to you.

Old Feb 24th, 1997, 02:54 PM
Linda

My 16yr. old son and I hope to cover similar territory at end of June. We have three weeks. Since our last name is Ayers, we want to see Ayers Rock. Know anything about it? Is two days enough out there?

Old Feb 26th, 1997, 11:28 AM
Eleanore

Sorry Linda, can't help you out there. Try where you pick up your Australian visa.I do know they have great small books on Australia and nearly every place there.

Old Mar 8th, 1997, 02:03 PM
Mike Gebicki

Dear Linda

Two days is plenty at Ayers Rock (also known to the Aborigines as Uluru - maybe you should consider a name change). Climbing The Rock takes 1/2 day, you should also visit The Olgas nearby (bigger, and better for hiking) and pack in a sunrise and sunset.

Old Mar 11th, 1997, 04:03 PM
Linda

Thanks for the tip. Looks like some good hiking shoes need to go in the suitcase. I’m guessing a water bottle would also be a good idea. As for the name change, not sure how that would sit with my Russian/German/English forebearers, but I’ll keep it in mind.