Australia in November ?

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 12:32 AM
david abberley

Australia in November ?

My wife and I will be visting australia this november (1999) for around 1 month travelling from the uk. We have family in Syndey and love to scuba dive. Does anyone know if November is a good time to Scuba? and anyone know a good spot (not touristy) to stay near the barrier reef?. Syndey & the reef sounds good but what about the other 2 weeks ?

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 07:03 AM
Louise

Check out www.australia.com - lots of information. We have been three times from Brisbane north from the end of September to the middle of November. Weather always great but I understand it gets very hot, wet and humid in the Cairns area any later. A wonderful place to stay is Port Douglas just north of Cairns. You can stay right on the beach very reasonably and still travel to Cairns easily. I would recommend scuba diving from there. You will have to be aware of the poisonous jellyfish anywhere along the coast but out on the reef they are not a problem. It does take a long time to get from the shore out to the reef - figure an hour if not more by boat. You will love it!!

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 07:04 AM
Louise

Check out www.australia.com - lots of information. We have been three times from Brisbane north from the end of September to the middle of November. Weather always great but I understand it gets very hot, wet and humid in the Cairns area any later. A wonderful place to stay is Port Douglas just north of Cairns. You can stay right on the beach very reasonably and still travel to Cairns easily. I would recommend scuba diving from there. You will have to be aware of the poisonous jellyfish anywhere along the coast but out on the reef they are not a problem. It does take a long time to get from the shore out to the reef - figure an hour if not more by boat. You will love it!!

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 01:17 PM
David

Thanks louise,

I'll start to check the port douglas area for accomadation & dive trips.

David.

Old Jun 16th, 1999, 06:30 AM
Dick

If you don't need room service and some of the amenities of a hotel..you may want to consider renting a self contained apartment.

This past November, my wife and I rented a 2 level apartment with private roof top terrace..located a few blocks easy walk to the center of town. The cost was significantly less than a hotel....and provided a lot more room.

If you do go to Port douglas..make sure you see the local crafts market in the waterfront park on Sundays...the homemade macadamia nuat ice cream is fabulous.