Notices

Australia Day Jan 26 - Is it worth it?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Evan

Australia Day Jan 26 - Is it worth it?

We'll be in Melbourne on Jan 24, 2003 and would like to know your thoughts on whether we should go back to Sydney for the weekend of Jan 25/26 (Australia Day). We will already have been there the previous weekend and don't know if it's worth it. Can anyone help us decide? What exactly goes on in Sydney? Are there similar celebrations in Melbourne? Thanks.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Alan

Hi, Evan!
"Australia Day" is really a misnomer, as January 26 is actually the anniversary of the day Captain Arthur Phillip brought the First Fleet of convicts and settlers into Sydney, which was then simply New South Wales. It didn't become "Australia" until over a hundred years later! So, regardless of what melbourne is doing for "Australia Day", Sydney is definitely the place to be on this special occasion. The list of events would take too long to go through here... anyway, it seems to get bigger every year. The fireworks at Circular Quay, the picnics all over town, the free entertainment in the parks, the parade of the tall ships, the ferry races on the harbour, and the formal celebrations at night in Darling Harbour... I tell you, it's a great day to be in Sydney. I wouldn't miss it for quids. Melbourne? Well, who would know? Maybe someone from that city could tell you what they're doing.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Lucy

As Alan said Evan, Sydney really is an amazing place to be for Australia Day! Check out this link for a summary of all the events put on for 2002. http://www.forte.com.au/ausdaypdf/events_summary.pdf

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Aussie

Two of my ancestors arrived on the 1st. fleet. Jan 26th. 1788. (not convicts though ) I would give my eye teeth to be in Sydney every year but I am always stuck in Victoria...... with very little going on..... most towns have a bit of a celebration limited involvment however, it is nothing like 4th of July !

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Evan

Thank you so much! I think I'll plan to be there! Alan - I must compliment you on the time and detail you give to everyone's questions on this forum. Keep up the great work, and thank you for your insight! It really helps.