Search

Australia 10 days Itenary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2019, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia 10 days Itenary

Hi everyone

I am travelling to Australia during October and will land on 14th morning Avalon airport and have full 10 days on the ground to travel around.
We are 5 adults so we still deciding to go for hire campervan with or without toilet ( which is better?) vs rent a car and stay hotel/airbnb.

We definitely be going to Great Ocean Road and Melbourne but still haven't finalised on the itenary yet. Since my parents are coming with me, so we won't be doing alot of climbing or extreme stuff. Just sight seeing, scenery, little bit of shopping, some park and museums. Stuff like that. Would highly appreciate for some advice here. Should I include Sydney as well?

​​​​One of our main concern is to choose campervan or rent car plus hotel. Then if we pick campervan should we go for those with toilet or without? We are wondering will it be a hassle to clean the wastage on the campervan since it is our 1st time driving one and our 1st time travelling to Australia as well. I thank you all in advanced for your advice meanwhile I will have a look in this forum
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 12:31 PM

I think the big question is whether the driver/drivers are confident in driving a big motorhome in a strange country, possibly on a different side of the road they are used to driving on. And you will need a big motorhome for five people. If there are any doubts, then don't do it, for your safety and others on the road.
Other than that question, a motorhome will allow you to prepare meals, saving a lot of money. A big motorhome will have a toilet and shower - it's not a major job emptying the toilet container and I'm sure the rental company will show you how to do this. You'll need to stop overnight in caravan parks - there are very few free camping spots along the Great Ocean Road.
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that driving a big campervan could be daunting. You will also be quite cramped with five adults. We hired a small campervan a couple of years ago and found it was fairly expensive. We're glad we tried it but wouldn't do it again - too cramped, too difficult to park in towns/shopping centres, expensive to hire and you have to add in the cost of a powered campsite. If you do hire a campervan I'd get one with a toilet. At night you don't really want to have to walk to the toilet block unless you have to. Emptying the toilet cassette is easier than you'd think, they will show you when you get the van.

Another option is to stay in self-contained cabins in caravan parks, and hire a car. This is just an example of what you could get (Google for more):
https://www.big4portfairy.com.au/por...accommodation/

Cabins would mean you have somewhere to make meals, a toilet and shower and a lot more space than a campervan. Caravan parks also have facilities such as a camp kitchen, pool, games room, laundry etc.

You can easily spend your 10 days in Victoria. You'd see native wildlife in Halls Gap and Bendigo and Ballarat have beautiful historic architecture. Lots of other ideas too. If you include Sydney, you'd need to include airfares there and back (assuming you are flying out of Melbourne).

Kay
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for replying. I got your point there, driving something really big in a different country road is a really new experience for us. We definitely do not want anything bad happen during our trip. Then I think I might opt to get a MPV to drive around and then rent self contain cabin as mention by Kayf in certain areas to try out this experience and potentially more budget than staying in high end hotels
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 11:24 PM

I need to also mention that the Great Ocean Road is a very "winding" road. lots of sharp turns in a few places and very curvy. so remember driving a big campervan on the left hand side of the road is going to take some good driving.
We live in Melbourne and have done this road many times... but i would not want to be driving a big campervan on this road.
Hire yourself a car that will fit you all comfortably. I know you want to save money, but there will be some nice air bnb's along the way as well as camping grounds that have cabins.. i know there is a good one in Lorne.
and as you are not coming during school holidays the rates should be OK>
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

1st time using this website, only realize only max 2 post within 24 hour -.-. I think for now I have decided not to use camper van. Thanks to all 3 of your advice here. : )
Now I need to sort out the itinerary and I found one that I really keen to use. Will not follow exactly but maybe alter a little bit. Let me know what you all think about the plan below. Pretty good? But I will be starting from Avalon Airport , I can go either way then. Either to the right Melbourne 1st or to the left Great Ocean Road 1st . What you all think Or is there other Itinerary that recommended

Day 1: Melbourne to Torquay

Day 2: Torquay to Lorne

Day 3: Lorne to Cape Otway

Day 4: Cape Otway to Port Fairy

Day 5: Port Fairy to Halls Gap

Day 6: Halls Gap to Ballarat

Day 7: Sovereign Hill

Day 8: Ballarat to Hepburn Springs

Day 9: Hepburn Springs to Daylesford

Day 10: Daylesford to Melbourne

These are the rough guide I got from Australia . com , as a newbee I cannot post link and picture soooo abit troublesome lol
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 11:11 PM

From Avalon I would not go backwards to Melbourne.
Torquay is a short drive from Avalon Airport - about 30 minutes. I am not sure what you want to see in Torquay. It has a great surf beach, but I would not waste a night there. I would add the extra night to Melbourne.
I would head straight to Lorne, stopping at Aireys Inlet to walk near the light house and see the coast. We always stop there to have scones and a light lunch.
You can visit Torquay on your way to Lorne if you really want to or just drive past.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 12:05 AM

I think I'd head down the coast too, and away from Melbourne. The itinerary you list means a lot of moving on, it won't be very restful. If you spend hours driving somewhere then stay the night and move on the next morning, you won't have a chance to see much.

I agree that you could skip Torquay unless there is something there you particularly want to see. For Cape Otway you could stay at Apollo Bay. Hepburn Springs and Daylesford could be visited from Ballarat, no need to move accommodation each time. You could also stay in Daylesford or Hepburn (instead of Ballarat). I would try and add a day to Melbourne if you can, maybe combine Daylesford and Hepburn on one day, or skip them all together. Don't forget to allow enough time to get back to Avalon from Melbourne for your flight home, it's a fair distance and traffic can be heavy.

Kay
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Millie and Kay,

Wow thanks for the really concrete feedback, I definitely will use the information here to draft a more proper itenerary. Those are just a rough itenary I got from a website. I might stay 1 or 2 night in Melbourne and 1 or 2 night along the Great Ocean road as well? What you guys think? I will find time to put up my itenary for you all to have a look and hopefully more advice as well this is our 1st time coming here so more to have a look and experience as much as possible, not luxury travelling so gonna keep spending at moderate level
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 09:40 PM

if you are travelling a long way to get here I would be very wary of driving with jet lag. esp along a road like the GOR-lots of accidents on it from people from overseas not used to driving after a flight or on the other side of the rode. Why are you coming into Avalon?
I understand it make sense to drive straight to Lorne etc from Avalon but???
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

We actually got a great deals for flight landing and departing at Avalon Airport hence I need to arrange the itinerary accordingly We drive very often in my country sometime during trips we do drive around 2000 plus kilometer just to roam travel around , do not worry most important we also want a safe journey I am thinking do you think I can remove some plans and put Sydney in? what you guys think?
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 12:49 AM

You said you had 10 full days in Australia so you could add in Sydney and take out some of your travel in Victoria. I'd say allow at least two full days in Sydney (more is better) which is three nights. You'd have to pay for 5 adult return flights to Sydney, you could check costs for your dates and see if that influences your decision. Also on your return, if you fly from Sydney to Melbourne on the same day as your flight back home, that's risky. If your flight out of Sydney is delayed you could miss your flight home. You could arrive in Australia at Avalon, fly straight to Sydney same day (allow plenty of time between flights), then fly back to Melbourne and have the rest of the time in Victoria. You might be aware that Tullamarine airport is the major Melbourne airport for nearly all flights, Avalon is very small in comparison.

It really depends on what you want to see. If it was me, I'd have a great holiday in Victoria and save Sydney for another trip. But it's certainly possible with 10 days.

Kay
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thinking

Originally Posted by KayF
You said you had 10 full days in Australia so you could add in Sydney and take out some of your travel in Victoria. I'd say allow at least two full days in Sydney (more is better) which is three nights. You'd have to pay for 5 adult return flights to Sydney, you could check costs for your dates and see if that influences your decision. Also on your return, if you fly from Sydney to Melbourne on the same day as your flight back home, that's risky. If your flight out of Sydney is delayed you could miss your flight home. You could arrive in Australia at Avalon, fly straight to Sydney same day (allow plenty of time between flights), then fly back to Melbourne and have the rest of the time in Victoria. You might be aware that Tullamarine airport is the major Melbourne airport for nearly all flights, Avalon is very small in comparison.

It really depends on what you want to see. If it was me, I'd have a great holiday in Victoria and save Sydney for another trip. But it's certainly possible with 10 days.

Kay

Hi,
​​Kay thanks for your reply! Great information there, I am actually thinking the same to skip Sydney and leave them for next trip. But still really confuse on what can I add to my trip here. For now definitely gonna go to Great Ocean, Melbourne, Yarra Valley and Phillip Island. The only thing that is about my trip is, I need drove to Great Ocean and then uturn back to Melbourne and then after Melbourne uturn back to Avalon for flight back. I think along the way how to plan properly my trip and what to add on the make this trip more memorable.
Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Please advice

This is my rough idea,

What you guys think? What am I missing here and what else to add on

14th October 2019
Reach Avalon 920am
Day 1 Melbourne Take rented car and go to Melbourne
Day 2 Melbourne 15/10
Day 3 Melbourne 16/10
Day 4 Melbourne - Gor Apollo 17/10
Day 5 Gor - Port Fairy 18/10
Day 6 Grampian National Park 19/10
Day 7 Grampian National Park 20/10
Day 8 Grampian National Park - 21/10
Day 9 - 22/10
Day 10 - 23rd October 2019
1045pm flight back Malaysia KL

I only travelling by car all the time, not taking any local flights around. And definitely not planning to put Sydney in to rush the schedule. Anymore interesting places to visit and stay at
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:34 AM

I would do Melbourne at the end of the trip. If you arrive at Avalon you are already on that side of town for the Great Ocean Road so just keep going. Also you don't really need a car for the city area (unless you are doing day trips?) and if you go to Melbourne first you'll have paid for a hire car you don't really need and also have to pay extra to park it in the city.

You could add in Bendigo or Ballarat to your plans.
Kay
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 02:22 PM

I'd definitely add Ballarat to your trip. It's on your way to Melbourne so stop for a few hours or overnight. Great folk museum (Sovereign Hill), gold museum, good art gallery, interesting buildings around town and nice gardens around Lake Wendouree.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Australia Itenary

Dear Kayf and Marg,

Yup agreed to that, I am putting G. O. R first then Grampians, then Ballarat is it and then Melbourne 3 nights. Definitely a better plan like this! Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. Now do you think I should return my hire car at Melbourne? During Melbourne maybe I will have 1 day to Philip Island and the rest of the day touring around the town area. Would it be convenient to use the public transport? I heard some transportation are even free!. So should I keep renting the car and return at Avv airport or return the car to them at Melbourne City.

I thank you in advanced for all your kind advice.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 01:36 PM

That travel plan sounds good.

I'd be tempted to return the car in Melbourne, use free transport around the city and do a tour to Philip Island. That would save you three days car rental. Skybus operate between Melbourne CBD and Avalon for your return to the airport.

I think a tour to Philip Island would be better than driving yourself. It's about 2.5 hours from the city, the penguins won't come in until it's getting dark so it would be after midnight by the time you get back to your hotel.

There is a free tram around the city, usually a vintage one so easy to pick out. What do you want to see in the city? Melbourne Zoo is an easy tram ride from the city, you could get a boat down river to Williamstown, we have two excellent art galleries and lots of really nice park lands, plus good shopping. If you want to see a massive shopping mall, I think there is a free shuttle bus from the city to Chadstone shopping centre - masses of shops, plus cinemas, restaurants etc.

Hope you have a great holiday.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 10:55 PM

Good advice from Marg. I would add that you should check the Skybus hours to Avalon airport, in case you have a very early flight or it's a public holiday. Just be sure you can get back to Avalon which has a lot less flights than Tullamarine airport, and probably fewer buses. You might enjoy Queen Victoria Market which is about 15 mins walk from the CBD (central business district) and is huge with great fresh food and just about everything else you could ever want - clothes, shoes, electronics, bags, souvenirs etc etc. Check online, it's not open every day. They also do market tours.

Kay
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

I think maybe I return the car during the second or third day in Melbourne , and use the hire car to go Phillip Island on day one in Melbourne and other places that is not so accessible by public transport. Like this I can save 2 or 3 days of car rental and use them on food and a bit of shopping In Melbourne where do you guys recommend to stay for a family of 5, no children all adults Not gonna go for double bunk or hostel, cause my parents need a comfortable room and private bath room, medium range budget To be honest I have not survey on where to stay yet. I think most important accommodation will be in Melbourne. Best if I can get a place where it is very convenient to public transport or near to some market any recommendation ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -