August 2008 trip

Nov 18th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

August 2008 trip

We are planning a trip for the month of August '08, flying from LA to Brisbane then on to Cairns. Spending 5 days there and will go to Rainforest, Kuranda, GBR snorkeling, etc. Then fly to Darwin for 18 days to visit daughter and new grandchild, but need advice on a hotel/motel w/Kitchenette that can accommodate 3 people (3 beds). Any thoughts? Any suggestions of fun things to do while in Darwin?

Then we will fly to Sydney for 5 days; again need suggestions for an inexpensive but clean place for 3 people (3 beds) and ideas of what to do while in Sydney.

Help! We welcome all suggestions and thank you immensely!!!
Nov 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM

For Sydney, check out www.pensione.com.au/

A few blocks North of The QVB on George Street, in Chinatown. Easy walk to Darling Harbour, Hyde Park, even Paddington if you like to walk.

Rooms are functional. Bathrooms are rather nice.

Regards

Bradford
Nov 18th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Actually, 'North' is not in the least bit correct. 'A few blocks' would be enough. I think it's probably South.
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM

We've stayed in two different serviced apartments in Darwin--Parap Village Apartments and Cullen Bay Serviced Apartments. Both were nice, but the Parap Village were a bit more economical since they were farther from the town center. If you get a 2-bedroom apartment, you'll have one double bed (or queen) and two twin beds. Each of those places also have washer/dryers in the room, so that helps with the laundry.
There's lots to see and do around Darwin. Be sure to go to the Mindal Beach Sunset Market. Also the Northern Territory musuem is great and my son and husband enjoyed the aviation museum. We had fun feeding the fish at Aquascene too. We didn't get to the Deckchair Cinema, but that sounded like fun as well.
There are some good day trips out of Darwin. First, I'd suggest going to Litchfield National Park for the natural pools (great swimming) and magnetic termite mounds. Another good day trip is to the Territory Wildlife Park and Berry Spring Park (right next to each other).
If you have time for longer trips, look into Kakadu National Park or Katherine.
Nov 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM

If going to Kuranda you might as well go to the Tablelands where there is a diversity of wildlife, scenery and great eating. Actually I would recommend two days with an overnight. Take a light coat as the nights could be frosty but the days will be magic. Some brave tourists still swim in the crater lakes at that time of year but not me.