Auckland to Auckland: Fly/Drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's me again.....need your suggestions and knowledge.
We thought we had this solved but now we are rethinking our strategy. We are driving from Auckland to Wellington then taking the ferry to Picton....driving the South Island and ending in Christchurch where we had planned to fly back to Auckland.

Now we're wondering which is the biggest hassle....flying or driving (with ferry)back to Auckland. We would have 2 1/2 days to drive back and all the "stuff" can just go with us. Plus we're thinking the North Island highways are faster and speeds are higher.

The dilemna is: are we taking on too much to do the return drive? Should we just get on the plane and be done? Mobility is somewhat of a problem for one of us so: ferry again or plane?

Value your opinions....thanks

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:38 PM

I would definitely fly back, and add another day to the South Island while you're at it.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally I'd fly back - I can't imagine taking the ferry both ways.
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM

YOur trip sounds exactly like our's was.
Except we drove back. If I had to do it all over again, I would definately fly. That is the only thing in our whole trip that I would have changed.
We had 2 days to get back... we were tired , the drive was longer than expected ( we went back a different way than we had come down) ..we thought it was more direct,and we weren't making stops like we did on the way down.

I can tell you that we were VERY happy to finally get to Auckland. and VERY tired. So, I think you are doing the right thing by flying.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Jed

When you get to CC, you will be exhausted with driving. On returning the car, you will say a blessing.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. It appears flying is the answer....so our dilemna is solved....thanks to all of you.

Guess I'll have to "dump" some of the baggage items though to meet Air New Zealand 44lbs. limits to fly domestic to Christchurch. Flying from the States we're allowed 50 lbs. Our ANZ ticket is only one way since we're cruising out of NZ and I heard ANZ does not honor our international baggage limits of 50 lbs....Can't cut down on all those NZ gifts though

Thanks everyone!!! You've been great!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
cwn

Hi,
You are flying into Auckland and then later going back to Auckland to catch a cruise, right. Do what we do when doing a driving trip before a curise. Leave a bag in storage at the hotel.

If you plan to spend the first night in Auckland to recover from the long flight from the US, before you start your drive South, as you probably should. Leave some of the luggage at the hotel in storage. Most hotels are very willing to do this.

You can then take an afternoon flight from CC back to Auckland, spend the night at the hotel and retrieve your luggage. The next day you can board as early as possible usually around noon and be rested and ready to enjoy the next leg of the trip.

If you are like us, you will maybe have dressier clothing for the criuse plus other things that you don't really need on the road trip. We have done it many times, that way we don't have to worry about the smaller weight allowances on local flights.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM

I'm not sure you're correct about ANZ and the luggage allowance, since you're at least arriving on an international flight. I would definitely call them if you haven't already.

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM

Some more info from Air New Zealand's website:

"For all flights:

Please note that if part of your itinerary involves travel under the piece system, then the piece system will apply to your whole Air New Zealand journey."

(Your US-NZ leg is under the piece system). If you are not familiar with Air New Zealand, be sure to read the information, there are weight limits PER Piece as well dimensions.

http://airnewzealand.com/travelinfo/...in_baggage.htm

When I fly US to NZ, even if I have a break on land between my international and domestic flights, I have always been allowed the international allowance. (However I have only done this with a RT ticket, so I would verify by calling).
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 08:45 PM

I'm surprised you have only a 50 lb (22.7 kg) limit US-NZ. When we flew to/from the US last year (cattle class) we had 32 kg (70 lb) to play with.

I'm sure you're getting sick of people advising you to pack lighter, but I really think it's the way to go. Our driving holiday in the US and Canada took 6 weeks, and our two checked bags weighed less than 20 kg (44 lb) each on the way over, and only a little over 20 kg each on the way home. To be fair we've never taken a cruise, and we didn't go anywhere that required more than "smart casual" clothing. But we're not fanatical light-packers.

New Zealanders, like Australians, are not given to formality, and jacket-and-tie restaurants pretty much went out with button-up boots, so (leaving aside whatever the cruise may demand) you don't need too many changes of outfits. Admittedly, my idea of a change of outfit is to break out the other pair of cargo pants.

I've found that the international standard limits of 20 kg plus 6 kg for carry-ons are plenty to wrestle with. Each to his own, though.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 06:43 AM

It still is 50 lbs per piece for two pieces in "cattle class." Silver Dreams somehow got some bad info.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi CWN
Thanks for your info. You seemed to understand what we are dealing with by fly/drive/cruise. The tips are great. We will definitely think about leaving our cruise bags at a hotel since we would be going and returning to Auckland.
However if we decide to do this we will need to change our hotel reservations to one hotel only. Right now we are at a different hotel arriving and a different hotel departing. Worth considering. Thanks a lot for the info.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

WOW!! So much good information...thanks to all of you.

Seems like there is a misunderstanding.....I believe we are going LIGHT with the suitcases. Plans are for each of us to take one medium suitcase and only one carry on for our 4 week driving tour in NZ....strictly casual clothes with the plan to use all the laundry facilities along the way.

The problem is we need totally different
clothing for our three week cruise...dressier, formal and warmer. So we're planning a medium suitcase for each of us for the cruise. Because of some mobility impairment and being "seniors", handling four medium suitcases (though we are allowed two 50lb.each) can be a problem even with some assistance....the reason behind considering shipping the cruise suitcases directly to the ship.

CWN: Special thanks for the info you gave us on shipping compani
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Sorry...my computer skipped a heartbeat but CWN....thanks for all the shipping websites and info. Great Stuff.

This is going to a great trip....but I have learned a fly/drive/cruise itinerary is quite a challenge. I guess a Tour would be easier but we like to DO OUR OWN THING at our own pace so we'll postpone that until we are really, really "seniors".

Had checked with ANZ and was told on domestic flights only 44 lbs. allowed but will check again....maybe because we have only a one way ticket from the US.

You have ALL been so helpful....thanks. It is really appreciated