Auckland cheap eats/lodging

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auckland cheap eats/lodging

I'm planning a 2week trip Nov19-Dec3, with 4 nights in Auckland. Any advise/tips on where to stay and eat without breaking the bank. I'm hoping to use the bus system to get around, is that possible, to visit sights in the surrounding area, or will I need a rental car to get to Waitomo for rafting. Please help!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM

Hi there

You do not say what your budget is like. That makes it very hard to provide any help, as any suggestions would have to be very general.

Drop an expected budget on here and I think you may solicit more answers.

Cheers

Steve
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM

The Intercity bus line should go to all the major tourist sites, including Waitomo.

By budget, do you mean you would like to stay at a hostel? There are a number of good ones in Auckland.

Lee Ann
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

I and my friend are in early 40's....budget wise probably 70-100 a nite....we are fairly open to B&B, Pub lodging,hostel ok...neither of us is picky...just on a budget and wanting to see and do as much as we can...all help appreciated...
Old Sep 24th, 2004, 12:38 PM

OK, that helps! Looking in my handy-dandy Frommer's guide, I see:

Downtown: Auckland Central Backpackers, Auckland City YHA, and Auckland International Hostel - YHA

Ponsonby - The Brown Kiwi Travellers Hostel

Mount Eden/Epsom - Bavaria Bed and Breakfast Hotel, Millar's Epsom Homestay

You could also check www.backpack.co.nz/index.html for more ideas.

There are a variety of food courts in downtown Auckland that have good, inexpensive food. If you stay in a hostel, you can cook for yourself and save some money that way.

Have a wonderful time!

Lee Ann
Old Sep 27th, 2004, 09:19 PM

Hi there once again.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but unfortunately I was struck with pnuemonia and have have to spend a few days in hospital.

LeeAnn's advice is sound in the recommedations she makes. I agree the foodhalls in and around downtown are great. My favorite for variety and price is in Albert Street, about two or three blocks up from the waterfront on the right hand side. It has for from throughout asia, from Turkey to Japan, and the prices are great.

Accomodation wise I have attatched a link to Jasons travel. In New Zealand the Jason's handbook is the "bible" for the accomodation seeker. You can pick one up at the airport on arrival, or see if you can get one sent to you. Anyhow, on the website there are links to hundreds of places to stay in and around Auckland. There are hany little maps on there too.

As well as the hostels option, don't discount the motel option. THey are reasonably priced usually run by very friendly people and some offer breakfasts as well.

http://www.jasons.co.nz/town.cfm

On that screen select the "Auckland-Northland-Auckland" option and leave your preferences blank. That way you start with the largest selction and then you can whittle it down.

Anyway

Good luck

Steve
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 02:51 AM

Not sure if 70-100 is USD or NZD - 100 USD would get you, I'm sure, somewhere fairly nice most places - and not budget AT ALL - unless you define budget as not 5*.

But if you want to spend less - there are some great hostels in NZ, and you can get to most places on the bus.

Don't know "Jason's" but you can get a free guide to independent b/p at the airport. BBH guide to hostels of NZ. I have stayed at a number of hostels in Auckland - YHA central is good - also Albert Park.

you could also try www.hostelworld.com for ideas.

Best of all is to stay in pubs - more than a b/p but a lot less than a motel. It's the sort of price bracket that is below yours, but a notch above hostel. It's very sad that accommodation in that range is beginning to die out - if you aren't really on a budget,then you must stay in places that charge more than you want to pay for facilities you don't need.

So - bee in bonnet time - stay in as many pubs as you can manage.

And have the most amazing time.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Check out www.wotif.com
This website offers discounted hotel rooms and also gives you a reasonable idea about the prices you can expect to pay on your travels.

Renting a car is probably your best bet for ' getting around ' as this gives you more freedom to pick and choose your route.
There are loads of cheap rental companies in Auckland so it might pay to wait till you get here so you can check out all the options.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Steve, I hope you're feeling better now!

Lee Ann
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:30 PM

Steve, I was sorry to hear that you were sick. I'm glad you are out of the hospital and feeling better.
I'm just starting to plan my trip to NZ, and am enjoying your informative posts and find them very helpful with my planning.
Hoping you continue to feel better.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Quick message for Kodi and LeeAnn

I am feeling much better know thank you. Should be able to return to work Monday, don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing hmmm.