Arrowtown

Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:44 PM
noeleen

Arrowtown

I will be attending my brothers wedding on the 1st of march in Christchurch and a group of us are going to arrowtown for 5 days afterwards. Everybody mentions Queenstown but has anyone been to arrowtown. Is it agood place to visit. Also what type of weather should I expect in that area in march. I am just trying to select what clothes to bring.

Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:25 PM
Crusty

Arrowtown is good for a couple of hours at the most! 5 days there and you'll go nuts. Arrowtown is just one street full of tourist trap kinda places. Good news is that it's only an hour from Queenstown by car so you can always go there.

Jan 24th, 2003, 04:18 PM
John

Crusty is absolutely right. You can see Arrowtown in about an hour.
By all means, go to Queenstown. Much, much more to do there. You can catch a bus from Queenstown to Arrowtown in front of McDonalds. The bus ride takes less than an hour and costs under a dollar, round trip.
John

Jan 29th, 2003, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the replies. However we will be based in arrowtown as this is part of the wedding party travelling together and arrangements have been made. But I can always travel from arrowtown to queenstown.
Feb 10th, 2003, 01:21 AM

Arrowtown is delightful, you can also visit Lake Hayes, Millbrook Resort, Coronet Peak, Lake Wanaka, Cardrona as well as Queenstown and it's many attractions.
Apr 4th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Just returned from a stay at Millbrook Resort. It is a short drive from Arrowtown and worth a visit or stay. Great golf and good restaurants.

Queenstown has about 3000% more things to do than Arrowtown. You do not want to miss Queenstown. Beautiful location and plenty to see and shop. Arrowtown is a few hours visit if you walk slow. nice, but cannot compare to Queenstown.

Enjoy the area. Beautiful part of the world.
Apr 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Thank you to all that replied. I have returned from my visit to New Zealand and I have to say I preferred arrowtown to queenstown. Although arrowtown is very small it is very pretty and of course if you want a lively nightlife it would not be the place to go. But I thought it was a lovely place to base ourselves. You obviously need transport if you stay there as all day tours start from queenstown. It only took us 20 mins to drive to queenstown from arrowtown. Believe it or not I went shopping in queenstown and bought nothing but arrowtown came up trumps for me. I do not look for trinkets when I am away I like to shop for clothes. It is nice to buy something that you know you can not get at home and I usually find that small villages or towns are where you find that something different as opposed to the bigger towns which tend to stock the same as everywhere else. If I ever return to that area I would base myself in arrowtown as long as I had transport. Because we were out and about so much I feel I did not get enough time to really sit back and relax in our beautiful surroundings. We did go up to Millbrook golf club for a drink. The restaraunt area was lovely but the club bar was not very nice. I would expect more of a golf club of that stature but having said that the scenery more than made up for the bar. I must admit normally queenstown would be the type of place I would pick to stay in but there was just something very quaint about arrowtown and it definately won me over.
Apr 5th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Noeleen
BRAVO!

While Queenstown is our No. tourist town once you get into places like Arrowtown you start to get a feeling for the "real" New Zealand - the people, the scenery, the experiences and more than anything else the true NZ hospitality rather than a "product" that is served for tourists. I'm not knocking it as it provides a service a lot of people are looking for, and loads of lovely tourist revenue for the country BUT there is a lot more outside Queenstown.

I should also add that the North Island can offer similar and equally wonderful experiences.

So Noeleen come again and we will be delighted to have you visit our part of New Zealand.

Kerry
Apr 10th, 2003, 06:22 AM

I certainly intend to go back again. As my brother lives in New Zealand I have a very good excuse to go back not that an excuse is needed but I have no doubt that I will be making a few trips over the next few years. I intend to see it bit by bit.