Search

Apartments in Blenheim?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartments in Blenheim?

I've changed my mind about B&Bs. I'm now interested in an apartment in Blenmeim. We won't take the challenge of driving in New Zealand so we need to be within walking distance of the town and major attactions. Any recommendations?
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi JeanneO -

I don't have any personal reccos for Blenheim, but do be aware that the best of Blenheim isn't IN Blenheim. The town itself is rather average and dull, but the surrounding countryside is where the magic is, the endless rows of vines, the unique accommodation, etc.

We stayed at Chateau Marlborough on two occasions years ago - it's right in town and it was okay, but that was years ago, I don't know what it's like these days.

Why don't you want to drive?
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

We don't want to drive because it's too scary for Americans to try to drive on, what we consider the wrong, side of the road. In an emergency, all of our instincts tell us to pull to the right. Not good in a country where you're supposed to be on the left.

We're thinking maybe we could rent bikes to get around.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm an American and I drive on the left side of the road every day. You'll need to ride your bikes on the left too.

I know it's scary at first JeanneO, but truly, NZ is best seen by car.
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM

I have to agree with Melnq8...It's really no biggie making the transition to the other side of the road. A lot of us, when travelling in US & Canada make the reverse transition...ie: We have to learn to drive on the other side while over there, and it's really no biggie....and Seeing NZ by car is really the best method of experiencing the country.

"Americans" are supposed to be pretty smart, and should be able to make that simple change more easily than us colonial rabble methinks...I would hope so, anyway.

Cheers,
Rick
Cairns OZ.