Search

Anyone been to Laura?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone been to Laura?

I have been in contact with the Quinkan Cultural Centre in Laura and they said that there is some accommodation there at the camping grounds which are basic but clean and secure. Does anyone know about this place? Apparently there are rooms as well as camping spots. Also, they are offering a half day "premium" tour that he said only 20 people a year go on but is full of aborigine rock art sites. It is only a bit more than the regular half day tour so we were interested in it. Know any thing about that?? We are thinking about driving to Laura from Yungaburra and staying there overnight to see the Cultural Centre and the Split Rock art sites and then take the tour in the am and going on to Cooktown afterwards. We were thinking of flying to Cooktown and driving back and forth to Laura from there to minimize "one night stand" type travel, which we don't prefer, but it seems more sensible (price as well as time) to drive there and it seems silly to not go to Laura on the way to Cooktown. Unless people who have been there or live around there know better. All advice and opinions are welcome.
Thanks!
Sally in Seattle
p.s. we are doing this trip in October.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Sally,
this is quite 'doable' and what do you have to loose? I have not done this tour but there are many fascinating sites in the area. There are two camp grounds which have cabins and there is the pub.
I stayed in the pub some 17 years ago when a team of ringers (cowboys) came to town. Not much sleep that night as when the pub closed they moved out under a mango tree and drank till they fell asleep in the early hours. Laura would have to be one of the very few places were one can see three species of Butcherbird.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Well, Saltuarius, I'll have to study up on Butcherbirds before we get there! My birdwatcher fiends will be envious. Thanks for your opinion, I was thinking it was worth a shot (and if we have ringers keeping us up, we can sleep when we get to Cooktown!) We stayed in an Australian campground in Kakadu and it was fine, so I was hoping that this one is, also.
Sally in Seattle
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM

G'day,
The last time I have been in that area was July last year.
It's certainly worth while to visit that area.
Here the details for one of the camping grounds that also has cabin accommodation
http://www.jowalbinna.com.au/index.html

We camped in the Lakefield Nat. Park and at Old Laura.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/h...210&back=1

Will you be driving a conventional car or a 4WD?
If 4WD there are some great tracks and places to explore in that region.

Enjoy,
Mike

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Mike, for your links. We sort of discounted Jowalbinna because the tour leaves Laura Cultural Centre at 7 am. Isn't Jowalbinna too far to make that comfortably? I think I have read that it is an hour away on an unsealed road. We will have a 4WD but a rental one, and they don't want you to do anything fun in a rental car!
Sally in Seattle
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:26 PM

sally, we did a special tour to see rock art in arnhemland whilst we were in kakadu. the art we saw was spectacular compared to what is generally viewable to the public in kakadu

so if your tour near Laura is that good i'd say go for it

cheers
andrewdavid ( nearby in victoria!)
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Dear A/D, I wish, wish, wish we had done the Arnhemland tour when we were in Kakadu, but we were quite impressed with what we saw, and the scenery was great and we met some really nice Aussies (are there any other kind???) up on the ridge overlooking Arnhemland. I am pretty sure we will go to Laura even without a lot of information about it. I'd hate to miss it and then kick myself (see above re Arnhemland!!) Glad you are settled in there in Victoria. One of our favorite places, but getting quite expensive to visit. (isn't everywhere?)

Any other opinions of or experiences with Laura are still welcome!
Sally in Seattle, currently in Orange County visiting my granddaughter (and her parents)