any special area to hike in Atherton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I have decided to rent a car as we are not groupie types of people and when we're tired we're done.... so I have mapped a similar route to northern experience that hits all the falls and trees and such........can you recommend a walk.?..yes we will walk the lake..... and to the falls anything interesting else walk to??????
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Do you mean the town of Atherton or somewhere in the entire area covered by Atherton Tableland?

If you've decided to follow the route of Northern Experience you won't have time for much walking, other than part of way around Lake Barrine (that means sacrificing the boat trip which would be a shame, the lake is full of turtles right now), a stroll through Paronella Park and a bit of a very scenic rainforest walk (optional) at Babinda Boulders. Other option here is swimming at the safe area in front of car park.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:53 PM

Lots. What are your interests, how vigorous and long the treck and how much time will you have?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:44 AM

What is the route of Northern Experience?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

I dont know about the swim part it would have to be very hot to go in that cold water...like Hawaii I would imagine....
believe me we have plenty or turtles in Florida.....

And we could skip Paronella if we get pooped..so it will take a better part of the day?..
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:15 PM

hypatia, OK, forget the turtles on Lake Barrine, what about the chance of platypus if you're there at the right time, various birds, or an amethystine python or two. And the boatman gives an interesting commentary on Lake Barrine and its surrounds.
Yes, even skipping Paronella it will take the better part of a day.

oliver and harry - Northern Experience is a local Cairns- based small family run tour - it picks up at Cairns or its northern beaches between 7.00am -7.30am and gets back at about 6pm. It takes you up the Gillies Hwy to Lake Barrine, morning tea of fresh scones, jam & cream and then optional boat ride on the lake, mentioned above. Then on to Curtain Fig Tree at Yungaburra, the Millaa Millaa waterfalls, lunch at Mungalli Falls bio-dynamic dairy, very good meals with the freshest salads which just about jump off the plate. No other tour stops here for lunch. Then through the lovely countryside via Palmerston Hwy down to Paronella Park. Comes back to Cairns on Bruce Hwy with a stop at Babinda Boulders. Pretty good value at AU$126 when you consider what is included. www.northernexperience.com.au
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 01:15 AM

Ah, Pat that is right, I had bookmarked that before when you wrote about NE previously. We have four days on the Tablelands and will do all that independently. Thanks.

Hawai'i water cold? Why would you even bother going if you can't go in the water? I'm sure hoping QLD will still have some swimmable temps in May!
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

ice cold