Any Aussies been to Brazil?

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Aussies been to Brazil?

(OK, I know this is the Aussie thread) It's about the Brazil Real currency. Seems difficult and expensive to obtain from Australia.
Has anyone changed money there?
I have a feeling they would only want American dollars.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:57 AM

Yes I have been to Brazil but I doubt they want American $ now as its too unstable and low. I would talk to your bank and see what they say.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM

Yes, I have! Have responded to your yellow fever injection question on a South American thread.

Take US dollars, that's what people most commonly want. Also if you are flying through Santiago airport, all the bars and shoprs there take US dollars. When you arrive in Brazil, there are ATMs in all the airports so you can also get Reais on arrival.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Of course they will take US$ They always exchange at a current market rate - plus a bit. That bit covers their cost of doing the transactions plus, I believe, a pad to cover short-term currency fluctuations.

I don't know if it is correct to say the US$ is unstable. It is low - which is a good reason for Brazilians to be selling reals for US$ - they get more for their money. Buy low, sell high.

I don't know what the situation is now but the real has, in the recent past, been both unsteble and low.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:30 AM

That is to say, they make their money no matter what the exchange rate is.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 01:39 PM

The question, I presume, was written by an Australian. In that context then mrwunrfl an Australia would have to exchange Aus$ for American$ then change to Reals which in itself is an expensive option. I did not say that Brazil "would not take" US$ - of course they will but there could be better options that making 2 money exchanges for Carrabella. There is a Brazilian Embassy in Australia Carrabella and perhaps this question could be directed to them.
Old Aug 1st, 2008, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all - we have been able to buy our Reais at last, without having to change Aussi dollars into US dollars first.