alone to Australia

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 11:55 AM
Lynne

alone to Australia

I am a 40+ woman traveling alone to Australia from mid-October to mid-November -- I'm more interested in wildlife and people than beaches -- I'd like help on places to stay (under $100) preferably B&B or small hotels in Sydney, Cairns, Adelaide, Melbourne, Kangaroo Island, and Tas -- I won't have a car so they need to be near tour bus pickups or public transportation -- I'd like to do some hiking, but not alone Do national parks have organized hikes or walks? All advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old Aug 27th, 1998, 06:10 PM
Michelle

Lynne
I don't know how long you intend to spend in Tasmania while you're here, but you simply must go hiking at Cradle Mountain - it's stunning. I know there are organised hiking tours that go overnight or for several days, but not sure about day-trips. The trails are really well marked though, so with the Park trail guide, you don't really need a tour. If you have time, also go to Freycinet National Park on the east coast of Tasmania where a hike around to Wineglass Bay is also beautiful (and quite different to Cradle Mountain, so you'll get a good contrast). When you arrive in Cairns you should hop on a shuttle bus straight to Port Douglas which is about 30 minutes further north. It is more beautiful than Cairns and there are lots of organised tours to the Daintree rainforest and surrounding area (which include walks). It is easy to find accommodation at less than $100 a night (B&Bs and motels are all mostly less than that). We had a car in Tasmania and stayed in many charming B&Bs in small towns, so I can't really advise you on places with proximity to public transport, but I'm sure the major motel chains in Launceston, Hobart and Devonport would meet your criteria. As I said above, there are lots of organised tours out of Port Douglas - so that won't be a problem, they pick up from all the hotels. You're coming at a nice time of year weather-wise. Have fun!
Michelle

Old Aug 28th, 1998, 06:47 AM
kris

Hi Lynne. I just read in the Sunday travel section that they run day tours from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island which might be a good option for you since you don't want to drive. It sounded like they went pretty much all around the island. From what I remember, driving was the primary method of transport around the island. Kangaroo Island was one of my favorite spots in Australia-it wasn't over commercialized and the wildlife viewing there was fabulous. We saw an echnida, which is endangered, while we were on the island (sort of like a small porcupine) and lots of kangaroos, koalas, cassowaries (like emus), wallabies and a whole beach full of seals.
I'll see if I can find the name and phone number of the tour company for you tonight.

I would also recommend Featherdale Wildlife Park in Sydney (I think the zoo was also good) and going to see the Fairy penguins on Phillip Island when you're in Melbourne (we did that on a tour bus). A trip out to the Great Barrier Reef is a must. You can book a boat trip out of Cairns. You can also book trips to Daintree and other places from the wharf area in Cairns. We stayed in Cairns and didn't spend much time in Port Douglas. I liked Cairns but it wasn't touristy at all. It seemed like the backpacker crowd was drawn there because of the low accomodation cost. You can get around Cairns easily on foot.

Other than the time we spent on Kangaroo Island, we traveled everywhere without a car. The bus system was very good in Sydney and I think they use trolleys in Melbourne.

We used a travel agency in Chicago to book our trip called Austravel. Other major cities probably have similar agencies. We didn't pay more than $100 a night for accomodations and they were very helpful in directing us what to see and helping us select daytrips to take.

Have a great trip!

Old Aug 30th, 1998, 06:08 AM
peg

Lynne, a good site to get more info is www.citysearch.com.au Also for package costs within Oz try www.travel.com.au, remember to convert the amounts quoted to US dollars. You will find great value as our dollar has dropped against the US$ If you would like more info about Melbourne you are welcome to email me. Peg.

Old Aug 31st, 1998, 06:34 AM
kris

Hi again Lynne. The name of the tour company that runs trips from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island is Kangaroo Island Ferry Connections. The tour that was in the paper was actually an overnight trip going to see the Fairy penguins, the Little Sahara Sand Dunes, sea lions at Seal Bay, kangaroo sighting at Flinders Chase, Admirals Arch and Remarkable Rocks. The overnight accomodations are at a youth hostel and the approximate cost of the tour is $112 US. As I mentioned before, public transportation is nonexistent on KI, so I think this sounds like a great option for you. Their site on the internet is www.tea-net.com/ki-connections, email address is [email protected].

Old Sep 1st, 1998, 11:27 PM
Kristen

I rented a car in Tasmania for one week and drove around to the different parks and went hiking. It was not expensive and was an opportunity to stop and explore whenever I wanted. I rented the car in Launceston and returned it in Hobart. I highly recommend it!!!!