Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Alf, Lord Balfor..What side of Raro to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this point.....I am looking into beach cottage rentals from jetsave, rarotonga realty, and rent raro. Confused a bit which side of the Raro island to stay. Is there a less crowded side? Is Muri busy? Is it all just wonderful? Looking for good swimming snorkle spots. Thanks
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Here, read this:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2...S.Beaches.html

A couple of additional considerations after you've read that:

1) Best snorkeling is generally considered to be the SE corner of the island (from the southernmost motu (islet) near Muri down around the SE corner). Best single snorkeling spot generally considered to be at the Fruits of Rarotonga smoothie stand. Pretty much all of the south shore is terrific for swimming/snorkeling.

2) There are 4 areas of the lagoon that are protected from fishing - 2 near Muri, 1 at the SE corner of the lagoon (near the Rarotongan resort) and the last near the west end of the airport.

Ken
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the link, Ken. We'll be in Raro and Aitutaki in late September - your information is priceless!
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM

You're welcome.

FYI - "protected from fishing" = more fish (just making sure that point was clear).

Ken
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:59 PM
ALF

Yeah, I'd vote for the south beaches too. You can walk to a store and a couple of places to eat, as well as nice swimming beaches. Muri itself can be a little busy, but not big-time, and if you go just 1km away, it is quieter.

Don't know much about snorkeling, as I'm more of a diver. We did have fun snorkeling off a glass-bottom boat near the entrance to Muri Lagoon.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Lord Balfor for your help. I imagine you must get tired of people asking you the same questions over and over again! I did buy tickets for 10 nights in the cooks. Decided on intersting combination of resort in Raro and moderate in Aitutaki. Went through Costco to book 5 nights at the Royale Takitumu as others were booked. It seemed to have good reviews. Then booked my own airfare to Aitutaki and am just in the process of booking a moderate place. That is the only piece left. Etu Moana was booked. I am thinking of staying at the Aitutaki Beach Villas (they have a cottage for 4 nights) as somewhat budget and visiting the finer resorts for island night and such.Waiting for several other moderates to respond such as Seaside Lodge and Sunny Beach. Again thank you for your guidance.