Advice on Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Itinerary

Hello !

Could anyone advise me on the following:

1. Are the tour rides ( Milford Sound , Bungee Jumpetc ) and also the TranzAlpine Train rides open on
31st Dec ,1st - 2nd Jan( since these are public holiays)?

2. Do you know if its better to take the overnight
Milford Cruise or the daytime cruise is good enough?

3. Is hiking/ heli hiking at Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier a better choice? And, would choosing either hiking or heli-hike be sufficient or should we do both?
Also, if I were to take the heli ride up Mount Cook, I won't need to do so on the glaciers too right?

4. Is it a better choice to take the TranzAlpine or drive via the Alpine Traverse? Which in your opinion would be a better experience?

5. Is getting around in a rental car or doing part driving and part travelling in travel coaches a better choice ( in terms of cost and convenience)?

I have drawn up a brief itinerary as well for my stay from 26 Dec - 9 Jan 06. Would be nice if I could have some advice from all the experienced NZ travellers:

Day 1 : Arrive CHC around 2+. ( Don't intend to rent a car. Would just take a city bus/coach around CHC)--> Is this a good idea?

Day : CHC - Greymouth ( drive/TranzAlpine) - Punakaiki - Hokitika - Franz Joseph ( staying at FJ)

Day 3 epart FJ for Fox Glacier for a Half Day morning hike - Heli ride in the afternoon - Stay at Fox Glacier/FJ ==> Is it better to stay at Fox Glacier or Franz Joseph?

Day 4 : Depart FG/FJ - Haast - Wanaka - Arrowtown - Qtown ( Stay at Qtown)

Day 5 : Station at Qtown the whole day

Day 6 : Qtown - Glenorchy - back to Qtown

Day 7 : Qtown - Te Anau - Milford Sound ( Not sure if I should do an overnight cruise) - Te Anau

Day 8 :Te Anau - Gore - Dunedin

Day 9 : Dunedin - Otago - Dunedin

Day 10 : Dunedin - Omaru - Omarama - Twizel - Mt Cook

Day 11 : Mt Cook - Lake Tekabo - CHC

Day 12 : I am abit stuck here... Not sure if I should proceed from CHC to Nelson.. Its a very very long drive.. / Should I proceed from CHC to Hammer Springs and then to Kaikoura.

Abit panicky because I don't have a very good plan , haven't booked accomodation etc..

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Sep 18th, 2005, 05:59 AM

Phew, LittleMatchgirl, it looks exhausting to me!

My first question - are you travelling alone?

My second question - where are you travelling from?
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Hello Em Bee,

I am travelling with my husband. So, you feel that our itinerary is too rush? Could you advise where we should 'slow down' and probably pack less activities in?

Thanks
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Hi Matchgirl, I've travelled in NZ independently 5-6 times, so I'll answer what I can:
1. Don't know, But also bear in mind that Dec 26 (Boxing Day) is also a holiday. I am guessing that there would be some availability, but you should look for the operator's websites.
2. The daytime cruise is fine if your time is limited. But being there in the morning is worthwhile to avoid the crowds.
3.You only need to do one heli flight over the glaciers, they all come together at the top of the mountain. I have only hiked to the base of the glaciers. Bear in mind that weather can be "dodgy" in that part of NZ so you should get on a heliflight whenever the weather is good.
4. If you are only going one way thru Arthur's Pass, I would drive are there are stops along the way and your time is limited. I've done the trip from Christchurch one way driving and returning by train from Arthur's Pass, by using a day-tour with a hiking guide booked at the Christchurch visitor center. It worked out really well.
5. Renting a car for the whole trip can be expensive, especially factoring the cost of gas. However with two people traveling together, you may do just as well. I'd compare the costs of dropping the car off in Queenstown for a few days vrsus getting a discount on a longer-term rental.

No need to rent a car in Christchurch. There is a tram loop around the central area, and the bus system is excellent. The B&B's on Armagh Street are near the main sites around the Museums and Botanic Garden, and the tram stops on Armagh. Christchurch has a day's worth of sights if you like museums and gardens.

Day 2 is a long day. I would stop in Hokitika instead.

Day 3-4 You should book two nights in the Glaciers if you really want to hike.

Day 4 should be Day 5. Wanaka, is a bit closer than Queenstown, and a bit saner. Day 5 is long but doable.

You can make up a day in Queenstown, Day 7 to Milford can be done as a day trip by coach or coach/flight return to Queenstown. I have not done the flight but have heard raves from my fellow hikers on the Milford Trail.

Day 8 (Queenstown or Te Anau to Dunedin) A car is a good idea. Take the Southern Scenic Route and visit a few stops (eg Nuggets) along the Catlins Coast. Another long day.

Day 10. If it appears that Mt. Cook is going to be clouded over, consider staying in Twizel and just looking at the lakes. You don't necessarily need to drive all the way in.

Day 11-Day 12. I would just rearrange these days and not try to go beyond Christchurch. Add Day 11 elsewhere in the trip (you are rushing!) and enjoy Day 12 back in Christchurch.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Hello again LittleMatchgirl.

Sorry to take so long to get back to your itinerary but there are quite a few questions to look at.

Dont panic - broadly speaking you are on 'the right track'. I will get back to the board in a few hours with some information I think will be helpful for you.
Old Sep 20th, 2005, 11:20 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
LittleMatchGirl -

You've already gotten some good advice, but just a few comments:

Personally, I prefer the drive over Arthur's Pass to the train, but that's just me. You can take the early train from CH to Greymouth, then pick up a rental car in Greymouth, drive to Punakaiki, backtrack to Greymouth (45-60 minutes each way if memory serves) and on to Franz Josef (about 2:15 hours from Greymouth). This might be a long day, depending on when the train arrives in Greymouth (noonish?)

Fox Glacier is only about 45 minutes from Franz Josef. As far as which is better, well, we've stayed at both, and like both. Franz has more services than Fox (motels, restaurants, etc), but either place is good and they both offer some nice walks. Franz has the added bonus of being a short drive from Okarito, but looks like you're pushed for time as it is, so you won't be able to squeeze much else in. Fox and Franz both offer heli hikes and glacier hikes, so you might consider basing yourself in one or the other to allow yourself more time to take part in actitivies.

As far as the sound cruises - I've been on two Milford Sound day cruises and they were okay, nothing to get excited about. I've heard wonderful things about the Doubtful Sound overnight cruise though. Next time maybe.

I think you'd be pushing it to go to Nelson from CH with so little time left (it is a very long drive, I learned the hard way). I'd suggest you end your trip in Dunedin or QT, then fly back to CH to catch your flight to Auckland. OR work your way back up to CH and leave from there, saving Nelson for another time.

It's very hard to see the farthest south and the farthest north of the South Island on the same trip. We've done it, but we've had alot more time to work with than you have. You'd be better off limiting your stops and taking the time to enjoy yourself. There is so much to see in NZ, it's a shame to rush.

Have a great trip!