Advice needed on Rotorua

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2007, 10:18 PM
paw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on Rotorua

Am planning for my second trip to NZ, but first for NI, so:

There are three major thermal areas around Rotorua: Wai-O-Tapu, Hells Gate and Waimangu, as far as I know. Since the walks are mainly priced competitively, would like to know which is the preferred one for independent travellers? Prettiest? Least touristy?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 03:21 PM

I would suggest that none of them are pretty, but as I have been to Hells Gate it is the one I would recommend. It is also easy to get too and you will not be disappointed.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM

We went to Wai-o-tapu, which was fantastic. It's not touristy and we enjoyed the wide variety of pools and colors.

If you like, you can see pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/ElendilPickle

Lee Ann
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:10 PM
paw
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Seems like there are more thermal area there than the ones I listed. Will probably visit one of them, but perhaps decide there and then which one to head to.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 11:59 PM

Wai-o-tapu is always my first choice, I have done them all as it used to be a part of my work to visit the tourist spots. Wai-o-tapu also has the Lady Knox geyser, you need to go to the ticket office around 10am and buy your entrance ticket and then go back a short distance to see the geyser set off at 10.15am, I think that is still the time but check first. It is worth getting there to see it, after that return to the ticket office and begin your walk of the major area. Allow at least two hours. These are tourist spots but plenty of walking room for all.
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 07:26 PM

My DH and I were in Rotorua last month and did Waimangu, Wai-O-Tapu and Hells Gate. We both agree we enjoyed them in that order. Waimangu is in a valley setting so I would rate it the prettiest and less touristy than Wai-O-Tapu but Waimangu and Wai-O-Tapu are different in character and if you have time I would recommend doing them both. We went to Hells Gate last on a sunny day. I have read that they are spectacular on a rainy day but I was disappointed and thought the free mud pools near Wai-O-Tapu were better. Hells Gate is very different from the other two and you would be missing part of Rotorua if that is all you went to. Also we enjoyed visiting the museum in the Bath House and highly recommend viewing the film while you're there. We went in the evening and there were only several other visitors in the museum.