Adelaide to Melbourne

Apr 18th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

Adelaide to Melbourne

We have two days to drive from Adelaid to Melbourne - looks like Mount Gabier would be about halfway according to the travelmate web site. It was about 5 hours for each leg of the trip. Do you think this is doable or are we trying to do too much in two days? Thanks in advance for any help
Apr 18th, 2004, 10:07 PM

Hi Marcia,

Most people would drive from Adelaide to Melbourne in one day. It takes about 9 hours taking it easy and by the shortest route.

If you are wanting to sightsee on the way then two days is definitely doable.

Cheers

Paul_S
Apr 19th, 2004, 04:54 AM

most locals wd drive it in 9 hours (if you say so, Paul) - but most tourists? What would be the point of that? You might as well fly and save all that eyestrain.

Two days is douable, for sure; but if you want more time to spend on what is generally regarded as the 'best' part of the route, I don't think I'd split it into equal halves. Give yourselves some time to stop and walk a little, or take a small detour to Otway NP (esp. if you are not going to Tassie) by staying somewhere further East than Mt Gambier.
Apr 20th, 2004, 05:47 AM

Well Alice the point in doing it in one day is if the original poster was merely returning a hire car without wanting to sightsee. I read the original posters message to say that they had two days to get to Melbourne by car and was this able to be done, hence my reply.

I quite regularly drive from Alice Springs to Port Stephens in two days, I do so because it is far cheaper to drive than fly and I have a car to use while I am down there.

I also regularly drive to Adelaide from Alice Springs to spend a day shopping, which is something that is not possible in Alice Springs, then drive back. No big deal to us it is more like a long driveway.

Apr 21st, 2004, 08:14 PM

Since Adelaide to Melbourne is do-able in 1 day, if you've got 2 days the question becomes "what do I most want to see on the way?". Mt Gambier is of some interest I guess but if you're choosing it because it's half way by distance, you should realise that it's not really half way in time, it's closer to Adelaide. The Great Ocean Road trip is fairly slow going and very windy (and windy for that matter) but very scenic of course. If you're going that way primarily for the Otways and Great Ocean Road, I'd spend the night further east - Port Campbell or Port Fairy, somewhere like that. If you don't particularly like ocean views and sweeping curves on the road, I'd stop in Coonawarra on Day 1 and do a longer drive Day 2.