Search

Adelaide area

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adelaide area

For our trip in April, we've booked our accommodations in Sydney (the Russell) and are now turning our attention to the four days we'll have in the Adelaide area. We need some advice on a couple of things. First, if we arrive by plane at 16:00 should we go directly to the Barossa valley, go to the Adelaide hills, or stay the first night in the city of Adelaide, rather than the last? We'll be renting a car but since we've never driven Australian/British style we're reluctant to go too far the first night. In fact, approximately when should sunset be during the last weekend in April? Will we have several daylight hours left or only a few?

Second, do any of you have favorite places to stay in that area? We want to stay in a couple of different villages, sight see and tour, taste many wines, visit conservation/preservation areas as well as see the city of Adelaide. Any suggestions? Thank you Kathy
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:07 PM

Kathy, I'll leave it to others to advise on best places, but if you're arriving late afternoon, definitely wait until the next day to see the Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley - you'd certainly get there after dark. You can easily spend a day in those areas, don't rush it. And if you have to adapt to driving on the left, doing it at night in an unfamiliar city wouldn't be my choice.

My advice is, check in to your hotel (the city is a short drive from the airport), go for a walk around North Terrace and the Parklands/Botanical Gardens, then find somewhere to eat and veg out. The eastern end of Rundle Street and surrounds, alternatively nearby North Adelaide have plenty of good places to eat. The northern side of the City of Adelaide's square mile is the more interesting.

A word on driving on the "wrong side": you should adapt pretty quickly, but pay attention when turning onto an empty road - it's easy to turn onto the wrong lane out of habit when there's no other traffic to indicate where you should be. Also, it sounds obvious, but also make sure you turn left onto roundabouts (traffic circles).

A small point - from memory, in the US you're usually allowed to turn right at a red light (after coming to a halt at the intersection) unless there's a sign telling you not to. In Australia the general (and less sensible) rule is the converse of that - you can only turn left at a red light where a sign specifically tells you that you can.

Also, when walking, make sure you first look right, not left, for oncoming traffic before crossing the street.

There's more than one way to get to and from the Barossa, so think about going one way and coming back another.

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Hi Kathleen,
If you decide to stay in Adelaide, I can highly recommend the Medina Grand Adelaide Treasury Hotel. Beautifully and thoughtfully converted old treasury building. Great location and definitely one of the highlights of our stay in Oz. Enjoy your visit to Adelaide and environs - the Barossa is wonderful.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM

I would second the Medina, great style. Although Adelaide Airport is very close to town ( great views usually of the city when descending ) I would sort your car for the next day. I always use Delta, very friendly service and reasonable prices. The Novotel in the Barossa is about AUD 140, although a 'modern place' it does have very good facilities. You could take a day trip to Kangaroo Island too. The Grande Mercure Mount Lofty is a beautiful old building.
You can get some accommodation ideas on

http://www.freewebs.com/sydney_cheap...s/adelaide.htm

You won't have problems driving, everywehre very well signposted. I would certainly drive the next day so that you can stop on the way, otherwise at 4 pm you are going to drive into the rush for people heading home.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Neil and James, Thank you so much for the information on driving and recommending that we wait until the next day to start out for the hills or the valley. This is exactly the kind of information that we wanted to know. We'll now stay in Adelaide the first night and get there in daylight, while we figure out the driving style. Then divide the next three days between Barossa and Adelaide hills. We don't plan on going to Kangaroo Island. Maybe next time, when we have more time.
As for the driving, I think it might be a little unnerving, but my husband thinks we'll do okay--good to go slowly with it at first though. And we really didn't want to be driving at night, in a place we've never been, etc. Thanks for the heads up.

Starfish and James, We actually were considering the Medina Grand Treasury as well as the Directors Studio. Do you know anything about that one? Neil, thanks for mentioning some things to do that first night. I just hope we can see and do all that we want in the city and area in four days. We appreciate all the great suggestions. Thank you. Kathy
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM

James is right, of course - pick up the car next morning. The most direct route to the Barossa is via the Main North Road and Gawler, but the most pleasant IMO is via the Southeast Freeway, which starts only a few miles east of the city centre. Take the Stirling exit and meander roughly north through the Adelaide Hills. Stop off at Hahndorf, but remember that the area's German colonists were pious Lutherans from Brandenburg fleeing religious persecution, so any Bavarian-style tourist stuff you might see there is pure hokum - I don't think Hahndorf's founders wore leather shorts. Ironically, I think the Clare Valley north of Adelaide was partly settled by Catholic Germans also fleeing religious persecution. I like to think they eventually got together to talk about old times, but then again, maybe not.

The hills will probably be brown when you're there, so you'll just have to imagine how green they are in spring Or you can wear green sunglasses. (It's a well-known fact that Australian animal psychologists pioneered the technique of fitting green goggles to cows during dry stretches in order to increase milk production, by the way.)

Opinions differ about Kangaroo Island -I didn't think it justified the outrageous ferry fare, but I know others have enjoyed their visit. However, the drive south through the McLaren Vale winegrowing district and the Fleurieu Peninsula to Victor Harbor is pleasant, even if you'll have seen enough wineries by then.

If it helps, Kathy, we had our first experience of driving on the right side in Boston, and I'm sure other readers can trump that - Adelaide should be less of a challenge. You'll spend some time wiping the windscreen when you meant to turn on your indicator, but that's all part of the fun.

By the way, you can of course buy wines at the cellar doors, but they're usually cheaper at the big liquor stores.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 09:27 PM

>>>>>>It's a well-known fact that Australian animal psychologists pioneered the technique of fitting green goggles to cows during dry stretches in order to increase milk production, by the way.<<<<<<

Neil, thank goodness LN came along and asked a Canberra question soon after this. Who knows what else we would have been subjected to if someone hadn't come along and rescued you from relevance deprivation.

Was it also an Australian who suggested the idea of stopping our clocks when we go to bed because we have no need of their services while we're asleep?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Judy, for shame, you doubter. My uncle, a Queensland dairy farmer and a patriotic Australian, assured me that this was the case. Who was I to doubt him? Especially after the third glass of his home-distilled rum, which tasted like an interesting blend of kerosene and molasses. Or liquefied asphalt mixed with avgas, maybe.

I thought it was Canadians who turned off the clocks during sleeping time, but as an economy measure. Admittedly I see drivers here who decline to turn on their headlights or use their indicators for the same reason.

I'll also admit that many Australian farmers opposed the introduction of daylight saving time on the grounds that it would fade the curtains and alarm the cows. I actually remember one gnarled old son-of-the-soil pointing at the TV camera lens and declaiming "I don't care what you say -no good will come of interfering with God's Time!"

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:37 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Not sure about the directors studio but from what I saw of the other rooms, you can't go wrong. We had a studio with a separate living room and kitchen. Beautifully appointed - wished we could have stayed longer!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Neil and Judy, What wonderful tales and banter. Just got into my office to start the day and already I'm chuckling. Brown hills won't be a problem for us unless the animals at the sanctuaries go into hiding because they didn't get their green glasses. Neil, Too bad your first American city driving experience was Boston. That city is notorious for having fast and crazy drivers. Plus, the streets are always filled with both in and out of town drivers. I've always tried to park as soon as I could when I've been there.
James and Neil, I guess I misunderstood you. I thought we'd pick up and drop off the car at the airport, but I believe you are suggesting we get the car in Adelaide the next morning, then proceed out of town with it? And you're suggesting Delta, the airlines? or is there a Delta car rental agency in Australia? I'm unclear on this. Will there be a hefty drop off fee to a different location if we pick up the car in town but return it to the airport?
It would be great to wait until the next morning to get the car.
We thought we'd skip Kangaroo Island simply beacuse there will be plenty to see in covering the Barossa valley, maybe a bit of Clare Valley, the Adelaide hills, and the F.Peninsula to the coast. I'm not a big shopper and since we've been to Germany, and didn't buy the leather shorts there, I think we'll skip them here as well. I like the idea of driving north first, then after our time in Barossa valley, meander to the Adelaide hills passing through those interesting villages. I'm still undecided on lodging yet. but I believe we'll choose the Medina Grand treasury for the night in Adelaide. Thank again. Kathy
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

James, I guess I'm answering a portion of the question I asked you. After looking on the web, I found Delta car rentals and checked on the fares. Apparently there is no additional drop off fee charge if it's going to a different location than the pick up location. At least that's how it appears when I plug in the info. Thank you for that car rental suggestion. Kathy
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM

The Barossa and Adelaide Hills towns are very pleasant, and South Australia's many stone houses are a nice touch. And they're neat. I thought New Zealand, where every town is Tidy Town, was almost surreally neat, but SA would run a close second. (In NZ they don't just trim the hedges, they clip the windbreaks.)

Speaking of brown hills, I was struck by how similar the Sonoma wine country in late summer looked to many Australian wine areas, even down to the eucalypts.

Actually Boston, a city I liked very much, wasn't so bad, as we were heading north to Salem and Cape Anne and so didn't have to go through the city. Even so my infallible touch for getting lost in any city, no matter how small, didn't desert me.

I think you're doing the right thing in skipping KI, Kathy. You'll find enough to occupy your time as it is.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:30 AM

I would pick up the car downtown, when you arrive just jump in a cab at the airport, lot less bother, then you can get the car in the morning and the staff will no doubt give you directions out of town. Neil, I forgot about Victor Harbour! Do they still have the horse drawn bus? Great place!
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Just back from a trip to Kangaroo Island , McLaren Vale area.
We have been to Adelaide & Barossa many times. Take a cab from the airport & spend the night in Adelaide.... it is a very small city & you will have no problems getting around. If you wish to sample the wines along the way it might be a good idea to take a tour one day at Barossa so you can enjoy with out being over the alcohol limit when driving.
For great sea veiws check out the drive from Mc Laren Vale to the ocean Sellicks Beach up to Glenelg. By the way Glenelg is 5 minutes drive from the airport.
We usually go for Thrifty Hire car which was one of the few which allowed travel to Kangaroo Island. The week before we hired from euro car in Queensland which was a bit cheaper then Thrifty but we did get caught out with the second driver fee... which doesn't apply with Thrifty. Enjoy.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Haven't been to Victor Harbor for a few years, James, so not sure about the status of the horse-drawn bus.

(Incidentally, this might seem a bit pedantic, but for web search purposes anyway the official spelling is 'Harbor'. This is unusual, though, as Australians now mostly employ the British "-our" in words like harbour. The American "-or" ending was widely used in the 19th century, which is why the Australian Labor Party is spelt that way).

Just beware the Ghost of the Hotel Victor, is my advice. In early 2000 we stayed in a room which had a connecting door to the adjoining room. As the occupant of that room had his TV turned up pretty loud we stuffed a towel under the connecting door to muffle the noise before hitting the sack. Next morning we noticed that the position of the towel clearly indicated that at some time in the night the door had been opened about 45 degrees then closed again. Needless to say we raised this odd occurrence when checking out, only to be told very defensively that it couldn't have happened. Accordingly it seemed that we must have imagined the whole thing, or constructed the story in order to get a discount, perhaps. As none of the above applied, the only remaining explanation was of a supernatural kind - but then, why didn't the ghost just walk through the door?

Seriously, is there anything more annoying than being treated as a fool or a liar when making a reasonable complaint?

Despite that, we found VH a pleasant spot.

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the additional suggestions. This loop driving trip around Adelaide is really beginning to take shape. Here's what we have so far.

1.Arrive and first night (Fri) in Adelaide, see the sights , maybe visit the wine museum, and museum/galleries, and stroll through the Botanical gardens. Eat somewhere nice.
2.The next day around noon, pick up the car and head to the Barossa valley, sample wines. Spend the night (Sat)there.
3. Meander to the Adelaide hills passing through Hahndorf, visit some wineries, spend some time at Cleland Wildlife Park, visit and maybe eat at the Bridgewater mill, evening walk at the Warrawong Sanctuary. We'd like to spent the night very near here (Sun). Any suggestions?
4.Drive the next morning to Victor Harbor and return via McLaren Vale, wineries. Should we proceed back to the same hotel as the previous night, or should we go, via the scenic sea view route, to Glenelg, since it was pointed out by AussieJo (Thank you) to be so close to the airport? Our flight back to Sydney leaves around 11AM (Tues)so we do have a little time that final morning.

Neil, we would think about spending the final night in Victor Harbor, but I believe it might be too far away for the drive back to the airport the next morning.
Would any of you do this trip differently? We're open to suggestions?
Somehow, this portion of our Australia trip needs more planning than the rest. For example, in Sydney, we can go non stop morning to night, but everything thing is so close. We aren't taking any day trips from Sydney. There's just too much to see and do right there.

I'd like to say, this Australian board has been very helpful. I've been on a few of the other Fodors boards and am always so amazed at how many people have been willing to share their experiences and expertise. Thank you all. I'm really looking forward to visiting Australia in April. Kathy
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 05:23 PM

The Clydesdales are still giving rides out to Granite Island in Victor Harbor. I think it may cost $4-5 for the trip out to GI.

For the last night I'd drive back and stay in Glenelg. You'd have to be up pretty early for your flight if you stayed in VH. Glenelg is a nice area.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 06:44 PM

Adelaide's only surviving tramway runs between Victoria Square in the city ('downtown') and Glenelg and it's no great distance to the airport whether you stay there or the city.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:02 PM

G'day Kathy,
I have been away with a tour and coming in late on this.
Your plan looks good to me. There are just a few things you may like to consider.

1.Arrive and first night (Fri) in Adelaide, see the sights , maybe visit the wine museum, and museum/galleries, and stroll through the Botanical gardens. Eat somewhere nice.

As you only arrive in Adelaide at 16:00 it maybe an idea to check how late museums, galleries etc are open on fridays.
Even the Botanical Gardens maybe closed or near closing by the time you get there.
You didn't mention your arrival date. If it is the Easter weekend and Good Friday then open/closing times maybe different as well.

3. Meander to the Adelaide hills passing through Hahndorf, visit some wineries, spend some time at Cleland Wildlife Park, visit and maybe eat at the Bridgewater mill, evening walk at the Warrawong Sanctuary. We'd like to spent the night very near here (Sun). Any suggestions?

When in Hahndorf don't forget to visit "The Cedars", home of the artist Hans Heysen.
If memory serves me, I think that there also used to be accommodation available at Warrawong.
That would be ideal if you are doing the (late) evening walk there.
I think, www.warrawong.com should give you the info on that.
---------------------------
I don't know if it will fit in, but just a little north of the Barossa Valley is the Clare Valley.
We usually stay at a historic Hotel in Auburn with that "old world Charm". Then next morning we visit the Sevenhill Cellars and people really love that, http://www.sevenhillcellars.com.au/history.html

Enjoy,
Mike
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:17 PM

The horse drawn tram is still running at Victor Harbour. Stay the last night at Glenelg room with a sea view is a must & air conditioning. There are lots of cafe's near the boat harbour to enjoy your last night in South Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -