adelaide and western australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just joined the forum after reading the great advise from responders. Hoping you will help us as well. Will be traveling to the Perth and Adelaide area in 3/09. Will rent a car and have about 9 days to spend in each location. Will be flying to both locations, not driving between. Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for day trips or even overnights from these two cities. Also, does anyone know the weather this time of year?? How about any nice b&b's?

Old Aug 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM

Just one question - is that an American 3/09 (March 9th) or an Australian 3/09 (3rd September) or March 2009?

You can check weather stats at www.weatherbase.com
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Weather could still be reasonably hot at that time of year but not as bad as mid-summer or it could be about as good as it gets. You have lots of time in both locations to do plenty of trips and I suggest that you google both locations and also so a search on this forum for previous suggestions. I have not been to either for a long time so am not up to date on accommodations but from Adelaide you have the Barossa Valley wineries - Kangaroo Island, Flinders Ranges, perhaps you may like to drive to the Opal areas and in Perth you have the South West, Margaret River, Rottnest Island. In both areas though some of the trips would be over-nighters. There are many nice B&Bs in both locations. Enjoy!!
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Greetings from Perth! We just relocated here two days ago.

The weather is currently fabulous, but March in Perth can be very hot - we spent two weeks in WA in March 2007 during a heatwave and just about died (we're from CO).

Highly recommend you hop in your car and head south - the SW corner of WA is gorgeous with endless coastal scenery and loads of beautiful state parks.

I have three detailed trip reports posted here on Fodor's for our trips to Western Australia - if interested, just click on my name and scroll until you find them. Lots of ideas, including drive routes, towns, attractions, hikes, our lodging, restaurants, etc.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 01:47 AM

Yes - as Neil says, are we talking March or September? Please bear in mind that Australia does NOT use mdy format.

Nine days in the Perth area? The obvious thing is to go south (especially if we are talking Sept) and Rottnest Island. Personally I'd go north.

Nine days in the Adelaide area is an unusually long time. There's the wineries (for day trips); there's Kangaroo Island (not a day trip). You could take a trip on the Murray River (if there's enough water). You could explore the Great Ocean Road and fly back from Melbourne. Or you could be a bit different and explore the north of the state (Clare Valley, Flinders Ranges) and even go up to Uluru. Have you looked at the Ghan (train)?

Lots of possibilities. What are your particular interests and how do you like to travel (adventure, luxury, etc, etc)?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses to date. The information provided on these forums are outstanding and provide a lot of food for thought. I was planning on a March, 09 trip, trying to find a time of year that wouldn't be too cold, too hot, or too wet (does perfect exist)? Keeping in mind both Adelaide and Perth. I've been to both but maybe 20 yrs ago and I'm sure lots has changed. Also thought about going back to Darwin or surrounding area. Was also in Darwin but again around the same time. Don't plan on doing the east coast except for flying in/out from US as I've done this several times and as recent as Nov/06. Will have about 3 wks total. Love scenery (husband is a photography buff), hiking trails, animal viewing, shopping, etc. Not into museums or the like. Prefer the outdoors. Thought we would incorporate Kangaroo Island while in Adelaide(any suggestions of things to do), wine regions, etc. Any suggestions concerning things to do/see in Adelaide and Perth and should we go back to Darwin?? We'll be renting cars and all locations so driving trips from these main cities will be possible. Last, suggestions on best time of year to possibly go to all three areas? Thanks everyone! I've only just started planning.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM

You love outdoors and scenery and you are not going to Tasmania???????????
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM

March is end of summer so very dry and the countryside is not at its best. Sept - November would be better. But if you are after heat and sun, March is fine.

I would suggest Tripadvisor for places to stay in Perth. Would also recommend a few days in the south-west (Margaret River and Denmark), the latter would be my preference. Yallingup is also a good place near all the wineries and good restaurants (Voyager Estate, Clairault, Vasse Felix are all v.good). Seashells in Yallingup have also recently renovated the old Caves House Hotel. They have some lovely apartment type accommodation, but not cheap. Smiths Beach accommodation (do a web search) is also good and cheaper, but you would need to book early. Finally, if you enjoy wine, a trip to the Swan Valley (30ks) from Perth is worth a day trip, also some good places for lunch. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Other things to do in the Perth area include Kings Park - I was just there yesterday - love it. It's huge and has a botanic garden and many kms of walking trails. A cruise along the Swan River (with or without wine)is also a good option as is spending some time in Fremantle.

Perth is a beautiful city (and this from a non city person) and you'll have no trouble filling your days here, although with 9 days, I'd strongly suggest you visit the surrounding areas as well.

As far as when to visit, we've now been in WA four times during July/August and we've found the weather to be wonderful - cool mornings and evenings, with warmish days (got up to about 76F yesterday).

As far as what to do down south - you might take a look at Albany and Pemberton as well as the areas previously mentioned. Wonderful scenery down that way as well as gobs of parks and great walking trails. There are many good wineries in the Pemberton area too and those massive trees are not to be missed.

Sorry, can't help with Adelaide, but hope to visit myself in the not-too-distant future.