Accommodations by Great Barrier Reef

Aug 17th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Irene

Accommodations by Great Barrier Reef

Need advice please. Will be traveling to the Great Barrier Reef the 1st week of October. My 20 Year old son is studying abroad and I want to see him and the GBR.

He is a certified scuba diver; and we are both beach people.

I want to stay at a beachfront place that has a swimmable beach; preferably pubs and nightlife on site (or closeby) for my son; close to town and the Quicksilver tours for scuba; snorkeling etc.

My travel agent in the US is suggesting Rydges Reef Resort. I can see from previous posts that it is far from the beach and town.
We want a fun spot!

What about Lizard Island?

What are your suggestions.

We would want beachfront or very close;
a/c; nightlife.

Many thanks.

Please give us suggestions and opinions. I am willing to splurge for the perfect spot.

Aug 18th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Scott

Irene

My wife and I have just been to the Reef from two places - Port Douglas in the north and Shute Harbour/Airlie Beach in middle of Queensland. Both would be fine, but our preference would be for Port D - better eating out!

Scott

Aug 18th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Martha

Irene -

I would recommend staying in Port Douglas. Quicksilver and a lot of other reef trips leave from there, as well as trips to the rainforest. The main accommodation in PD is apartments - easy to rent for 3+ days. The beach at PD is great and there are lots of shops and good restaurants. Rydges is a little south of town - it used to be the housing for the staff at the Sheraton Mirage, I think I heard. I would recommend an apartment in town instead.
Martha

Aug 18th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Irene

Dear irene,

We are a National Us tour operator specialized in the South Pacific. As for your dilemma, there are many places where to stay on the great barrier reef. What we first must asses is if you want to stay on a resort Island or Cairns. Heron Island is one of only 2 islands situated literally on the actual reef. Heron Island is a diver's delight spot. It does have night life .

We buy in bulk and therefore can discount quite a bit. Ask your Travel Agent to call us and we can put the full package together for you at a very good price.

We look forward to hearing from you .

Best regards
Peter
A&A Holidays,Ltd
tel: 1-800-611 7783
[email protected]

Aug 18th, 2002, 11:03 PM
Bert

I have heard that the above writer is a Scam artist and that they are not a registered tour operator. BEWARE!!!!!