Search

a guilty plea!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a guilty plea!

I feel guilty adding my own itinerary to this but need a little advice please. We are visiting in March and after reading other postings, I have come up with -
Start Christchurch with couple of nights to recover from flights from UK then to
Oamaru
Dunedin
Te Anau
Milford Sound
Queenstown
Wanaka
Fox Glacier
Greymouth
Nelson
Picton for ferry to North Island

We're hiring a motorhome - we have one at home, and find we tend to just stop at the nearest available campsite when we're done for the day. Will we need to book ahead or is it unlikely we'll have a problem if we just turn up?
I have a couple of spare days in the South Island if we only spend one night at each of these places - where would be best to add in an extra night? We are in our 50s-just!- and not adrenaline junkies - like walking, nature, nice wine, good food, rock music.

Next I have to start on the North Island itinerary!

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM

Hello moggy:

I would suggest you look into Kaikoura [spelling?] just north of Christchurch. We enjoyed whale watching there. Also good lobster at the Morph.

We found lots to see and enjoy all over New Zealand so where ever you choose to travel should be great.

We are going for our fourth trip [from Canada] in several days.

Have a good one.

Woodie
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Why the guilt? We're here to help.

As far as booking campsites in advance, it's usually a good idea during school holidays and the summer months of Jan-Feb, especially if you need a powered site.

You might want to contact one of the many holiday parks in NZ to get their advice about booking in March.

Just a few comments on your itinerary. You're covering a lot of ground, and assuming you're planning one night stays in each of the areas you've mentioned, you're not giving yourself much time to actually see these areas, especially if you want to do some walking.

As far as where to put that extra night....anywhere, although we found one night in Oamaru sufficient.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that. I know its a bit whirlwind but just seems so much to see. Hoping to take the North Island a bit easier - or hubby will need a holiday when we get home!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 10:49 PM

wow - mostly your list looks great. however, is there any particular reason why you have Oamaru and Greymouth on your list? i dont know that there is much to see or do in either of those places (although i could be wrong of course). perhaps start a new post with either name in the title and see if others think they are worthwhile places to stop.
Most of the other places on your list would probably warrant another day. i guess thats the great thing about travelling in a motorhome - you can just decide when you get there.
weather should be great in march as well. summer has been very late arriving and forecasts suggest that it will actually kick in properly in late feb and last through until april.
happy planning
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 07:26 AM

It does seem a bit rushed, you might want to look at the travel times between stops and decide if that is too much. I agree about Greymouth, Hokitika is slightly more interesting. Oamaru at least has the little blue penguins if you are stopping for the night. The old town is worth about an hour, and there is a cheese tasting place in town (Whitestone). Fleurs is a good restaurant at the little town of Moeraki before you reach Oamaru.