Reload this Page >

9-10 days: NZ or Aus. Which is better?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2000, 05:11 PM
david w

My wife and I are going to head in that direction this thanksgiving. <BR> <BR>We want adventure - but not bungie jumping, or ballooning - more like trekking, outback, hiking, rafting, snorkeling <BR> <BR>Which is better for us - NZ or Australia? Especialy since we only have 9-10 days

Old May 6th, 2000, 10:31 PM
Charles smith

Go to New Zealand. Australia is like Texas. When in New Zealand do not miss the Bay of Islands. Good Luck

Old May 7th, 2000, 04:04 AM
Chris

look into the organised hikes in New Zealand . Believe they are wonderful. Unfortunately don't know names but could find out if you post that you would like that.

Old May 7th, 2000, 09:02 PM
david w

Dear Chris, <BR>Would love to find out about the organized hikes. Please let me know if you remember the name and any details. Thanks.

Old May 8th, 2000, 06:23 AM
Al

Perhaps the poster above refers to the hikes in Fjordland National Park--The Milford Track and the Routburn Track come to mind. We hiked the 4-day Milford Track 10 years ago. It is called "the most beautiful walk in the world," and it surely must be. I bet they have a web site. It is very strenuous physically, but worth it. You stay in lodges that are re-supplied by helicopter because there are no roads in this magnificent wilderness. Only about 30 or so are permitted to go through each day. Others camp out and pack in their own gear and food--not advised. The charge is a bit much but you get enormous value for money and memories that last a lifetime. The hike begins at Te Anau and ends at Milford Sound, a distance by foot of about 30 miles, over a 3,000 ft. pass, on lovely trails, past enormous waterfalls, over swinging bridges, etc., etc. Rating: *****

Old May 8th, 2000, 09:38 AM
Chris

Yes, that is the hike - the Milford Track!

Old May 8th, 2000, 05:54 PM
te Rehia

the Able Tasman National Park is another option you will find out more from the Nelson web page get back to me if you cant find it. I'm not sure what the Milford Track is like in winter but Nelson is a lot warmer. <BR>

Old May 10th, 2000, 03:57 PM
colleen

The Milford and Hollyford Tracks are closed over winter due to snowfalls and avalanches. <BR> <BR>The Alel Tasman is beautiful, but Milford is magnificent!

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:12 PM
Colleen

David, I am totally unbiased, but listening to visitors to both countries the overwhelming choice is New Zealand. <BR> <BR>It is easier to get around and so much to see and do. <BR> <BR>It is truly God's Own. You don't have to try all those adventure things. There are plenty of more sedate yet wonderful places to go and things to do. <BR> <BR>Need any more help just email me. <BR> <BR>Cheers and Happy holiday.

Old May 11th, 2000, 08:40 PM
david w

Colleen, <BR> <BR>do you have some quick suggestions for a 9 day trip to NZ/ <BR> <BR>Thanks everyone for your help. I think NZ is where we are going to go.

Old May 15th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Paul S

David, <BR> <BR>At the time of year your looking at I think you may find most areas of Australia to be a bit on the hot side for hiking unless your thinking of maybe the Snowy Mountain areas. New Zealand would be more suitable especially the Milford Track experience. <BR> <BR>Another plus for you is that the exchange rate would favour you better in NZ. <BR> <BR>Although there are more sheep than humans in NZ you will be shocked at the price of wool garments so don't expect to get a bargain jumper. <BR> <BR>The tours out of Queenstown are pretty reasonably priced as is the accomodation if you look around, we found cabins in trailer parks to be pretty good value. <BR> <BR>Have fun and best wishes.

Old May 16th, 2000, 01:07 AM
Astrid

NZ, Oz is too big for 10 days.

Old May 16th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Steven

I've hiked the Abel Tasman, Routeburn (twice), Milford, and many others. Hiking independently is a fine way to go, if you don't mind carrying a little bit more. The hikes, are all strenuous, except for the Abel Tasman. That one is pretty flat, mainly beaches. Very beautiful. Milford is the most popular, but you will have to book a spot well in advance. Routeburn is also great. <BR> <BR>New Zealand is the type of country you go to for the feeling you get, not as much as for saying that you saw this or that sight. If you are the type of person who travels fast and likes to say you've seen this or that, try Australia. You can see the Opera House in Sydney, the Beaches nearby, the reef in Cairns, etc. No matter what you choose, 9-10 days is not much time. <BR> <BR>Lastly, it rains alot in New Zealand. By not having time flexibility you may end up doing most of your hike in the rain. Hopefully not, but you run the risk. <BR> <BR>if you want to play it a little safer, try the Bay of Islands and the Corromandel (sp?) Peninsula. You will need to rent a car for Corromandel. That would be easy to do with 9 days. <BR>

Old May 20th, 2000, 10:15 AM
Dave Hutchinson

We loved both on our trip to NZ and Australia a year ago. However, if given the choice..an opportunity to experience pure beauty..my choice would have to be New Zealand. You must see Milford Sound on the South Island..perhaps the most beautiful place on Earth. <BR> <BR>-Dave- <BR>www.CrazyAboutTravel.com

Old May 22nd, 2000, 09:48 AM
Alan

Seeing Australia in 9 days is like seeing the United States in 9 days. You have a better shot at NZ. The exchange is better and the people fantastic - Aussies are great too. It rains so take a slicker or shorts and a towel and the scenery is fantastic. I have visited both but the first criterion is size-you cannot see Australia in 10 days

Old May 22nd, 2000, 09:51 AM
Alan

about snorkeling - the great barrier reef, but it's a long way to Sydney

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 01:13 AM
BStine

I would also suggest NZ. Beautiful scenery. Was told the trek on the Milford Sound is fantastic. (We are too old.) It depends on what you like, but I much preferred NZ to Australia. I think green when I think NZ. Beautiful! Did I say that? Lush, green, tropical forests. beautiful waterfalls. In hindsight, we took many more pictures in NZ than Australia. Go for it!!!