5 days in Sydney/3 wks in NZ

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 days in Sydney/3 wks in NZ

Hello

Leave next week for our trip and found your message boards..thanks for all your insights, they've been very helpful.
Few Questions. Restaurant recommendations in Sydney- sushi, thai, and any others you think are must eats. Don't have to be formal.
A tour company for the Blue Mountains in a 4WD? We have the bridge climb booked and am planning to get Capsis tickets at the Opera House.
New Zealand: Our plan is to spend all three weeks on the south island in a rental car so we're not constantly driving and can spend a few days in each city/town./ We arrive in Wellington and will take the ferry to Picton...what do you think about this plan? we aren't big beach people. prefer hiking, kayaking. Any tips/thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 07:01 PM
JoP

Hello Shirls
We were in Sydney recently and had 2 memorable meals.
The first was at a Thai restaurant in Randwick, called Thai Riffic. It's not in the CBD, but the taxi was only A$15, and it's also on a bus route.
We also had a beautiful meal at the Manly Beach House restaurant. Take the ferry to Manly and walk down the Corso. The restaurant is in a stunning spot right on the beach and the food was amazing.
Re your trip to NZ, that plan sounds fine. Pick up your car in Picton, not Wellington.
From Picton you could go anywhere, but there is great kayaking in the Abel Tasman national park and from there you could drive down the west coast - it's very rugged & scenic (glaciers, etc).
Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.
Jo.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jo.

The restaurants sound wonderful, can't wait.
We've booked our car for Picton and then have three weeks to enjoy the sites of New Zealand. Thanks for responding,

Kim
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:34 PM

I would definitely plan on hiking to Franz Josef Glacier. Also, there is a park heading toward Milford Sound that is supposed to have great hiking, but I believe you need a permit or permission ahead of time, if you want to check into that. That area of the country is beautiful.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:55 PM
ALF

If you can afford it, I would recommend the overnight tour of Doubtful Sound. One of the highlights of our trip was taking an early morning kayak trip on Doubtful Sound, with not another soul in sight.

Another good thing we did was a rafting trip down the Clutha River from Lake Wanaka. No big rapids, but fast water, riffles, wildlife, and an interesting and informative guide.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help..we leave tonight and I'm very excited. i appreciate all the postings as its definitely helped enhance our trip.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:26 PM

Have a wonderful time while traveling! Don't forget to post some details of your journey when you get back.

Safe travels!

Samantha