Search

3wk trip Aust./Nz

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3wk trip Aust./Nz

In the beginning stages of planning a 3wk trip for Sept.2010. Would appreciate any/all input-trying to fly LAX-SYD on United in business class using miles(good luck I know). things want to do in Au-Sydney,Melbourne, Cairns area staying in Pam Cove-Great Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock/uluru,Kangaroo Island??? As for NZ-probably be in South Island mostly- My husband & I are in our early 50's, love to travel and go & do. Want to be kept busy and see as much as possible in time frame. Really want to do things like safari rides, up close and personal with kangaroos,koalas-not just looking from a bus or distance, hikes, camel rides, jet boat rides etc. Will probably look for some type of guided tours for all or make individualized tour-not looking to spend hrs driving in cars. Anyone with unique experiences, tour guides advice, hotel advice and great itinerary info-greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Sounds exciting! We also are planning a trip in April/May to NZ, Australia (second time) and Bali. Like you, we are going on FF tickets with AA & QF.

If you are looking for guided, land tours of Australia and/or NZ, Australia Pacific Touring http://www.aptouring.com.au/content.asp?Document_ID=17 has such packages, and does a good job, by the way.

Having said that, I think you may be trying to cover too much territory in only 3 weeks, particularly the Australia portion. Why don't you look at some of APTs itineraries and see how much can be crammed into three (short) weeks. If you factor in one day of jet lag recovery time and other travel time to and within Australia, you may only have time to spend maybe 7 days in South Island plus about 3 (maybe 4 if you are very, very organized) cities/areas in Australia.

Think about it!
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM
SnR

Three weeks is enough time to see highlights of Australia OR NZ, not both unless you are the If It's Tuesday It Must Be Uluru type of people. We spent three weeks and this is our itinerary:
arr Sydney and drive immediately to Blue Mtns (Jenolan Caves Lodge)
Sydney
Fly Yalara (Uluru area) for 3 nights
Fly Darwin for Kakadu area
Fly Cairns/Port Douglas
Fly Sydney
We only scratched the surface.

2nd trip was 5 weeks in Sydney, south of Sydney including Narooma and Canberra, Airlie Beach, greater Cairns area (Chillagoe, Yungaberra, Port Douglas, Cooktown, Laura, and Cairns).
Sooooooo much to see and it's a huge, huge country.

Many people on this board spend 3 weeks on South Island alone, or split North and South 1:2. When you factor in travel time, trying to go to all those places might leave you with a great working knowledge of the inside of airports down under and not so much info about the country itself.
Happy Planning!
Sally in Seattle trip reports under SnRSeattle and SnR
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

I know Au is very large but isn't NZ doing just the South Island easier to do in 7-8 days? And if I'm figuring correctly doesn't that leave another 10 days at least to do Au even with the traveling? We might only be able to hit the highlights but honestly the chance of returning again is probably not very likely. You probably are right but I guess I like to think optimistically. We also considered doing Au first and then maybe pick up a cruise to NZ. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM

<b>"Any thoughts?"</b>

Yeah! You will only be able to see <u>some</u> of the highlights in 10 days. Extend your trip another 7-10 days, if you can.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 09:11 PM

I agree that you are trying to do too much, Flgajaja, but if this likely to be your only shot at it, I understand why you are keen to cram in as much as you can.

If you are allowing 7-8 days for the South Island of NZ (which is fairly tight), you will have to pick and choose what you are to see in Oz. If I thought that I was only going to have one shot at it in a limited time, I would mark as my must-sees:

- Some exposure to the Outback. A visit to Uluru and environs would give you this.

- Kakadu -- possibly on a camping trip for a few days. Lots to choose from.

- Nthn Queensland and the off-shore islands. Say a few days in Port Douglas or on Lizard Island or both.

- A couple of days in Sydney.

That would still be leaving out a lot of the things that I have enjoyed about Oz (and continue to enjoy) but at least you would get a good sample of the flavour of the place.

Good luck with the pruning.

Rob.
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

thanks, it's going to be hard I know. Listen, it seems that everyone has told us that they love NZ more than Au, but for some reason there seems to be more(big stuff) to see in AU. should we spend more time in AU vs NZ? Anyone? I will look things over again and get back with some either/ors and hopefully get more input on which to choose. I have a while to plan this-but this is why I started now. Thanks for your honesty Rob-would love to spend more time but can't be away for any longer. til the next time
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I definitely subscribe to the "less is more" philosophy of travel. By trying to "hit the highlights", you come out with what is only a superficial experience and you don't end up doing the things you like to do. Hence the reason that people often cite NZ over Aus - NZ, with tremendous beauty crammed into a relatively small area, is easier to appreciate and comprehend in a short stay. The standard "golden triangle" itinerary of Sydney, Cairns, Uluru in a week doesn't do much justice to Australia in my opinion.

SO...by all means, spend 7-10 days on the South Island of NZ. Mile for mile, one of the most beautiful places in the world. Then fly to Sydney, for 2-4 days. Lots to see and do, maybe getting out of the city for a day... lovely coastline and beaches north and south of the city, as well as the Blue Mts. Then pick one area in Australia, fly there and see it well. In Sept, I would pick from

1) Far North Queensland (the Reef, islands, rainforests, waterfalls, outback at Undarra)
2) Adelaide and South Australia (wine country, outback Flinders Ranges, Coober Pedy, Kangaroo Island)
3) Darwin and the Top End (Kakadu, Litchfield, Katherine Gorge national parks)
4) The Red Center (Uluru, Olgas, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs, Palm Valley, MacDonnell Ranges and gorges)
5) Darwin (or Kununurra) to Broome through the Kimberly ranges (Bungle Bungles, the Gibb River Rd, gorges, waterfalls - very remote, very rugged, starkly beautiful)

You could easily spend a week to 10 days in each of these areas - each is so special.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM

I think Ralph says it well. If you want to spend 7-8 days in NZ, then try to limit the places in Australia to 2.

You may be underestimating how long it takes to travel between each of the places you mention in Australia, and I always feel like I lose an entire day when traveling as you have to pack/unpack, get to the airport, allow an hour or more at the airport before the flight, then the actual flight, then getting your baggage, getting a rental car (if that is what you choose) and final transit to the place you go. If you went to all 5 places you mention, you've essentially lost 5 of 10 days to travel (I know you were perhaps just mentioning those as options).

Do you live in the LA area? You may find yourself returning more often than you think! You can actually take advantage of the occasional special 1/2 price sales (I'm jealous). I just would hate for you to go such a long time and have it all be too much of a blur.

If in September, my top choices after visiting Sydney would be to go North, either FNQ, Red Center, Darwin North End. Those are just personal choices of places I want to go or return, and weather-wise, September would be a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 01:40 PM

Toucan2 makes a good point about fares from Los Angeles. You can get some really low fares on Air New Zealand, especially if you can travel in, say, April.

If Southwest Airlines flies out of your airport, you can often combine a cheap Southwest fare with a cheap Air NZ fare.

Lee Ann
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM

I did a 6 week trip to Australia followed by 2 1/2 weeks in NZ during July-September 2009. I felt like I just scratched the surface.

I stopped in Fiji (not worth it) for 3 nights before landing in Sydney. I was in Sydney 5 nights and used public transport exculsively. I covered Sydney and the Blue Mountains.

Then I went to my first exchange in Kawana Waters on the Sunshine Coast. My second home exchange was in Brisbane itself. I took Greyhound between the two locations. During my two home exchanges, I went as far north as Fraser Island and as far south as Byron Bay. I went as far west as Toowoomba in Queensland and did get to Lemington National Park (I drove up to the top but did not stay overnight). I saw a few wineries, but, since I was on a solo trip, I had to be very careful about tasting, so I would never go to more than one winery at once and only as I happened along. I felt like I hadn't even scratched the surface of Australia in 6 weeks. I was determined to do a trip that was focussed on a small area to keep the price of the trip down.

In New Zealand, my home exchange home was in Northland (the extreme northwest bit of the North Island). I did not get to the South Island at all and hardly saw a good third of the North Island. I did do Waitaimo Caves and Rotorura (nothing when compared to Yellowstone) and spent the last two nights of the trip in Auckland.

Given that you only have 3 weeks, I would go to either Australa or NZ but not both. You can't have much fun if you are rushing about all the time.

I can't wait to return to either country to see some of what I missed, but it would take many trips to really "do" Australia (It would be like "doing" the US. I live here and there is still plenty I have not seen.) and at least 3 to "do" NZ (just guessing because I haven't been to the SI).

Koalas, kangaroos and kiwis get old quickly. If you have seen one, you have seen them all. I actually went to 4 zoos but I would not advise you to see more than one (unless you go up north where the flora and fauna is bound to be different). In NZ, the same goes for Maori shows as for Australian and NZ animals: One is enough. Having said that, there is plenty of beautiful scenery in both places to keep you occupied.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Again thanks for all of your input. So if I had to choose btw Sidney/Melbourne I take it Syd would win? And is anyone familiar w/Longitude 131 to stay in at Uluru? Daintree vs Kuranda? Atherland Tablelands? Ever heard of a natural history safari? where would be the best place to se kangaroos, koalas up close and personal-not thru a window? Is Kangaroo Island worth the trip? What about Phillips Island? When we have to start cutting places I would prefer to go on recommendations rather than just my own research. Is the tranz alpine train worth the time or better to cover more territory? Anyone familiar w/ black-water rafting in Paproa Nat'l Park? After having already been to Alaska is it worth it to go down near Franz Josef glacier? And no Toucan2 we live in Florida not LA. We will try to use FF on United or a partner airline. Got any ideas? Please excuse all my ?'s but I greatly appreciate all advice.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 01:06 PM

We stayed at Longitude 131 two years ago, Flajaja. It was expensive (as you will have established), but we thought it was worth the splash out. We had a fantastic stay and found the activities program to be just right in terms of seeing/doing and relaxation.

We have stayed at a few of the (now) Voyages resorts and have found them all to be excellent. We have had (and have heard the same complaint from other guests) a few problems with their reservations office on occasions, but those issues may have been sorted out by now.
Old Jun 29th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Ah, I misinterpreted when you said you were flying out of LAX. Yes, much tougher from the middle/eastern part of the country, we have to get to LA or SF first, then go on.

I haven't been to Melbourne so I can't compare, but I love Sydney. And, if you are wanting to see some of the "symbols" of the country, Sydney has several...The bridge, the Opera House, Bondi. You could take a day trip out to the Blue Mountains and use a guide such as Carol Probets and not only would you see parts of the Blue Mountains you might not find on your own, she knows tons about the flora and fauna and again might point out things you might not see on your own.

If you flew to Cairns, once there it is really easy to get around. I don't see the attraction of Kuranda all that much myself, but you could do the sky tram/railway trip from Cairns to Kuranda and back, easy day trip. You could base yourself in Cairns for a couple of days (Lilybanks perhaps) and do a snorkeling trip to the GBR one day, then Tjukapai, Kuranda another, then start a little loop by going up to stay in the Atherton Tablelands a few days...perhaps hire a guide such as Alan Gillanders and you will be sure to see wildlife including platypus...then head up towards Mareeba (you will continue to see wildlife...and stay a few days in Daintree Village (Red Mill House) and make that your base for several more trips such as cruises on the river, a trip over the river to several of the boardwalks tops, or taking some of the other guided tours.

There are really a lot of wonderful opportunities to go out with knowledgable guides and naturalists. Up north I know that Trish and Andrew at Red Mill House were fantastic to help arrange things, and I'm sure the same is true of the proprietor of Lilybanks. I'm forgetting the name of the place we stayed in the Atherton Tablelands for some reason! All this is off the top of my head, if you want some detailed contacts without searching on your own, I can dig up my links.

This is of course just one option. Kakudu would be amazing, as would Uluru.

Isn't planning fun
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

don't know about the planning being fun, but i'm sure the trip will be if I can ever get it together. thanks again for all the info
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for asking so many questions, but if we had to choose betw. Daintree, Atheron Tablelands and Kuranda which would offer more in the way of actual wildlife encounters(not thru a glass window) and more excitement? Due to time, may not be able to do more than one unless you think they are so different and worth it. We are not really into the tourist aspect of things just want to get a real feel for the country despite the lack of time. thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM

<b>"...if we had to choose betw. Daintree, Atheron Tablelands and Kuranda which would offer more in the way of actual wildlife encounters(not thru a glass window) and more excitement? "</b>

I've only been to Kuranda and Daintree, so I can't comment on Atherton Tablelands. I don't see Kuranda as a wildlife destination except possibly the Rainforestation http://www.rainforest.com.au/attractions/wildlife.htm. We saw some saltwater crocs and goannas in Daintree in addition to some raptors (forgot which kind).
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM

I'd say best Atherton Tablelands would offer the most chances for wildlife encounters, other than with crocs. Drive a bit further inland to Undara, in the Gulf Savannah, and the wildlife spotting is really good - wild, relatively open country. There, we saw scads of kangroos, some emus, bettongs, sugar gliders, huge red tailed black cockatoos, Australain possoms...it was great.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM

I agree with Ralph, except you are staying in Palm Cove. A lot of wildlife is nocturnal so seeing it best early am or evening. So even though Palm Cove is divine, a nice pamper place not the best location for wildlife, unique or non touristy activities. From Palm Cove concentrate on great barrier reef experience. If you can try a helicopter flight, very beautiful from the air. A seascape like no other. You can better understand how the outer reef is such a huge barrier to the sea and how it has created this massive 2,000km long natural fish tank. Very different eco system than what people expect. After you have this part of the trip organised you could extend your stay in the region but I would advise an accommodation move. Then it can be difficult as different places have different wildlife.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM

Follow the advice given above. On the Atherton Tablelands I suggest Alan Gillanders as a guide for getting you up close to wild wildlife http://www.alanswildlifetours.com.au/ and then drive yourselves out to Undara http://undara.com.au/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -