Search

2 Week trip need help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Week trip need help

My husband and I are planning a 2 week trip to new zealand next march with our 13 year old son. We were planning on dividing our time 1 week south island and 1 week north island. We all like hiking and outdoor activities and we would like to visit some wineries along the way as well. Our son of course is a Lord of the Rings fan and would like to include some of the sites in the itinerary.

I need some help with the itinerary any must sees.

Any suggestions on mode of transportation. We were thinking of using the train and renting a car. Has anyone done this?

Finally, we usually stay at moderately priced B and B's and we would spend up to 100 US per night. Most of the websites I've looked at seem pricey. Any recommendations?

We are just starting to plan and would appreciate any tips and help

Thanks
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Hi suzd,
I recommend spending all of your time in the South Island. If you only have 7 nights, fly into Queenstown and spend your time there and in the Fiordland region.
Liz
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 03:11 PM
ElendilPickle2

I agree with Liz; with only two weeks, you'll want to concentrate on one island. You could, though, spend a day or two in Wellington, since Weta Workshop and Peter Jackson's studio are there, then take the ferry over to the South Island.

We found Ian Brodie's The Lord of the Rings Location Guide very helpful in our time on the North Island. Pick up a copy before you go.

If you decide you still want to spend a week on each island, take a look at http://community.webshots.com/user/ElendilPickle for pictures and a trip report from our 10 days on the North Island in 2004.

Lee Ann

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 07:44 PM

You will need to spend more than $US100 in the cities unless you are in a hostel. Even motels cost more than this. Out in the smaller areas you will find places to stay. We had the odd splurge, such as the first couple of nights we arrived. We stayed at the Great Ponsonby in Auckland & their daughter was involved in the computer side of LOTR. While we were there there were a few other LOTR crew staying. I guess we were just lucky.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM

Honestly Suzd, the hostels are really good. It was my first experience and I had alot of preconceived ideas. Wrong.
If you stick to the BBH hostels they are mostly small family owned places. Almost like a B&B. But you cook your own meals in a fully equipped kitchen. Probably not your own bathroom but possibly. I never found a dirty washroom .all were excellent. Never stayed in a dorm. WE always got a twin room and I'm sure you could get a tripple room. Maybe some with ensuite.
I came away thinking a lot better about them.
Look on the web site. and have a look.
I paid for private facilities sometimes. CHeck out the web site. YOU'll be surprised.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
suzd -

One of the perks of traveling in NZ is the huge range of accommodation. You can find anything from hostels, spacious motel units (nothing like motels in the US mind you), B&Bs, cottages, apartments and high end hotels.

NZ is full of reasonably priced self-contained privately owned accommodation perfect for families.

Check out these sites:

www.holidayhouses.co.nz
www.holidayhomes.co.nz
www.kiwinests.co.nz
www.cottagestays.co.nz
www.boutiquestays.co.nz

When you decide where you want to visit, re-post and I might be able to provide more specific recommendations.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM

Also aatravel.co.nz (the autoclub website).

Look for motels, which are great for families as they are more like small apartments. Your US AAA card entitles you to membership in the NZ organization, but you need to stop in and get a card. They will have maps and guidebooks for you. The website is great for travel planning.