Reload this Page >

2 days in Fiji/Auckland - Worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Bob

Am travelling to Australia from Canada in December and could stop in either Fiji or Auckland for 2 days on the way there. Would this be worth it or is better just to stay longer in Oz? <BR>I have read that the resorts near the Fiji airport aren't " typical" Fiji ( i.e. gorgeous beaches) . I wouldn't want to go too far as the stop would be a short one. <BR>Anything nice near the Auckland airport or is the trip into Auckland worth a couple of days? <BR>I am stopping in Hawaii on the way back for 3 days. <BR>Thanks for your help. <BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 08:04 PM
marg

I'd favour Auckland against Fiji especially if you are going to Hawaii on the way home. The airport in Auckland is only about twenty minutes from the CBD so you could base yourself in the city and either have a look around town or do a coach tour to Rotorua or the Bay of Islands. The ferry across the harbour to Devonport takes about 10 minutes and costs very little - great views on the hill behind the town.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 01:57 AM
holly

hi bob, take the auckland option over fiji, hire a car and drive to the bay of islands or coromandel or rotorua. well worth seeing and a good use of 2 days. N.Z. is pretty small and depending on your travel style you might cram in a few more sights in your short stay. enjoy!

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 08:27 AM
John

I think it's a tough call, actually, and depends on what you want to do. There are some quite nice resorts not far from Nadi airport in Fiji, like the Sheraton; or you could hop a flight to Taveuni, spend one or two nights there, then return, which would allow you to see a very different sort of Pacific island than Hawaii. (The view of the reefs and islands from the plane en route to Taveuni is astounding.) You could visit a Fijiian village there, and really get a quick view of a fascinating place - you'll make plans to return. <BR>On the other hand... <BR>The idea of driving to the Bay of Islands, or to Rotorua, or to (our fave) Napier, has appeal. You'd be on the road a fair amount, but that's a reward in itself in NZ.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 09:42 AM
Ally

Another thing to consider is 'flight time'. I recall the flight from Fiji to NZ is about 6 hours (?). If your flight from Canada is much longer to get to NZ than Fiji, you may be ready to get off. I agree with the poster above, there are still some nice hotels on the Nadi coast, and Taveuni is fabulous!