Search

2 day snorkeling in Cairns

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 day snorkeling in Cairns

My family (wife and 2 children ages 14 and 16) will be in Oz for 2 and a half weeks in August. I decided on a 2 day/1 night liveaboard out of Cairns (longer would be nice to get to better reef spots, but I don't want to short change Daitree and Cape Trib). I was ready to book on Atlantic Clipper or maybe Reef Encounter, but read that Norman, Saxon, and Hastings reefs are crowded and in poor condition. Now I am thinking about the Kangaroo Explorer because they go to Moore, Milln, and Briggs reefs. Are these really less crowded and in better condition? We are looking to see good coral and fish snorkeling, and maybe do our first introductory dive. Any thoughts on these boats would be appreciated.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 04:56 AM

dbens, would like to know your source for that comment. Crowded reefs are generally where the mega operators go, but only to one portion of that reef. For instance I know of a degenerated part of Moore Reef, and also know of a pristine part. Too often people will make a sweeping statement about a reef site when they've only seen a miniscule part of it.
Old Jul 13th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

I've read so many discussions I'm not sure I could find the specific remark. I suspect it was a scuba diver comparing outer reef locations to cod hole or the ribbon reefs (which I've decided we don't have enough time for, this trip). So, you think the sites Atlantic Clipper is likely to go to won't be too crowded or damaged? A night on the tall ship sounds more interesting than a luxury cat...but I do want to see the best sites I can given my 2 days!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

One more appeal for recommendations for a 2 day/1 night liveaboard boat for a family of snorkelers. I'm willing to go out of Port Douglas or Cairns...thanks in advance!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:27 PM

dbens, for a one night liveaboard both Atlantic Clipper and Reef Encounter are fine. I saw some photos taken just the other day at Norman and Saxon. It was a beautiful day with great visibility and everything was in good shape.

Atlantic Clipper, as you probably know is a tall ship, its just had a re-fit and is looking good. Reef Encounter is a comfortable vessel. Both vessels stay on the reef most of the time, the feeder vessel for Reef Encounter is Compass, which is a bit slow to get out to reef.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Pat. I've made a reservation on the Clipper and am really looking forward to Cairns and the GBR. Now if the weather cooperates...