17 nights in New Zealand in June 2020

Old Jan 17th, 2020, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

17 nights in New Zealand in June 2020

Hi All

Couple aged 40 with a girl child 13 years, are planning our first trip to the beautiful Nz. We will be arriving from Gold Coast, Australia in the afternoon of May 31, 2020 to Auckland. Will be staying for 4 nights in Auckland, as i have 2-3 meetings and we would mainly like to see the main city and offcourse the Lord of the Rings filming location(Hobbiton), other attraction and then fly to Christchurch.

We will have 13 nights in SI and would like to cover the main areas between Christchurch to Queenstown and maybe complete a loop. Not sure, whether to return to Melbourne via Queenstown or Christchurch

From CHC we would want to visit the Arthur pass, Lake Tekapo(not sure, if its worth), Punakaiki, Fox Glacier, Franz Josef, Wanaka, Queenstown, Milford Sound, Mt Cook, Dunedin(only if its on the way) and back to CHC

In the SI portion, we would definitely be renting a car, as we would like to do things at our own pace and enjoy the serene beauty of the South Island of New Zealand.

We are well aware that it would be winters and short days, therefore we would not like to rush things and go at a pace where we enjoy the most and also try to explore most of SI part of Nz.

We are not big hikers and 2--4 hours medium hike is maximum for us, but we don't mind exploring scenic points via car.

As we understand that SI is more beautiful compared to north side and the sole purpose of the SI driving trip is the explore to scenic beauty of Nz

We did a similar road trip in California (LA to SF) and enjoyed it a lot.

We would need all necessary suggestions on route to follow, places to visit, no of nights at locations, weather conditions to expect, any other tips etc

Thanks a lot
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 09:55 AM

New Zealand is a great place and you will certainly have an amazing time. The South Island is more "wild" than its Northern counterpart. I have spent 3 days in Queenstown, exploring the area around (Milford Sound, Ben Lomond, Lake Wakatipu, Glenorchy) and then I rent a car travelling all the way to Mount Cook National Park to the Hooker Valley Track Hike (3-4 hours easy hike and certainly recommended). I hurried up to Lake Tekapo to spend the night and the next day all the way up to Christchurch to catch my plane to Rotorua.

Now the activities I have chosen for the North Island were a bit more demanding (Waitomo Black Water Rafting, Tongariro Alpine Crossing etc.), so I am not going to mention any of them. For Hobbiton, there are the normal 2-hour guided tours and the evening banquet tour which includes dinner and a walk on the candlelit Hobbiton. I have only done the first one due to time restraints but I have heard the best for the second one as well. Just for warm-up here is a travel story I have prepared about Hobbiton including numerous pics I have taken - https://www.mileswithvibes.com/hobbi...a-new-zealand/. Enjoy your trip to New Zealand, it's an adventure of a lifetime!