Search

14 days in NZ in February

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 days in NZ in February

I know there are other posts on this but a search couldn't quite find what I was looking for, so I apologize for any redundancy! My husband and I (early 30s) are going to NZ in February for about 14-15 nights and plan to drive around the SI. We want to do some day hiking and kayaking, but also just relax and enjoy scenery. I am having trouble figuring out how to fit in everything while still getting to relax--there seem to be so many gorgeous places to see. Can anyone help me craft an itinerary seeing the following places? Or, help me figure out what to cut out? Thanks so much! We can fly into either CHC or Queenstown or fly into one and out of the other.

-Lake Tekapo
-Mt. Cook
-Abel Tasman National Park
-Nelson Lakes National Park
-Fox or Franz Josef Glacier
-Milford Sound
-Wanaka
-Kaikoura (I am considering cutting this)
-Blenheim/Marlborough (this seemed like a good place to do some relaxing because of the wineries but maybe I can cut it for more relaxation somewhere else?)

I am not interested in spending any significant time in either Christchurch or Queenstown. Thank you very much!
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Ok I spent all last night with the guidebooks and would love your thoughts on the following itinerary. Thank you!

Day 1 Fly into Christchurch
Day 2 Drive to Lake Tekapo
Day 3 Drive to Mt. Cook, Stay in Mt. Cook
Day 4 Drive to Te Anau (is this too far a drive?)
Day 5 Milford Sound, stay in Te Anau
Day 6 Wanaka
Day 7 Wanaka
Day 8 Wanaka
Day 9 Drive to Fox Glacier
Day 10 Fox Glacier, overnight in Westport
Day 11 Nelson Lakes National Park hike, overnight in Motueka
Day 12 Abel Tasman, overnight in Blenheim/Marlborough
Day 13 Marlborough Sounds kayak, overnight in Blenheim/Marlborough
Day 14 Wine tasting, overnight in Blenheim/Marlborough
Day 15 Overnight in Christchurch
Day 16, Fly out of Christchurch

A few questions: Is this just too much traveling? I'm especially concerned about having enough time in the Nelson region because it looks gorgeous. I could also fly into Queenstown and skip Lake Tekapo/Mt. Cook. I'm also wondering if there is somewhere else to relax/do wine tasting besides Blenheim region that might fit in better with this itinerary? I like the idea of ending on a relaxing note. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bmk
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
A few suggestions -

Day 2 and 3 can be combined, as you can easily see Tekapo on the way to Mt Cook, thereby freeing up an extra night, which I'd suggest you spend in Mt Cook - that would give you a full day to explore the hikes, lakes, glaciers etc.

Day 4 Drive to Te Anau (is this too far a drive?)

Entirely too far, rethink this one. It makes more sense to drive to Wanaka, spend your time in Wanaka, then head to Te Anau and then perhaps spend a night or two in Queenstown/Arrowtown or Cromwell before heading up to the glaciers.

Another option is Punakaiki, but Westport is a proper little town, whereas Punakaiki is a spot on the road.

Day 12 Abel Tasman, overnight in Blenheim/Marlborough

The drive to Blenheim from Abel Tasman is rather long...this doesn't leave much time for Abel Tasman. Take a look at a drive distance calculator.

Other places for wine tasting...Queenstown, Cromwell, Bannockburn (incredible Pinot Noir), Nelson, Upper Moutere (between Nelson and Motueka, Waipara (north of Christchurch) or the Selwyn district near Christchurch.

In other words, just about everywhere.
Old Aug 29th, 2013, 08:43 PM

Forgot to mention:

Day 9 Drive to Fox Glacier

Suggest two nights at Fox Glacier - as it stands you have long drive days on either side and don't have a full day to explore.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for these thoughts! Here is a revision based on your answers here and your thoughts on my other post (re abel tasman vs. Wanaka). One question is if Mt. Cook is really a must-see or if it's better to spend more time near Wanaka or Glenorchy? (You made it sound pretty great in your other response!) Any advice would be great!

Day 1 Fly into Christchurch
Day 2 Stay Mt. Cook
Day 3 Stay Mt. Cook
Day 4 Wanaka
Day 5 Wanaka
Day 6 Te Anau
Day 7 Te Anau-Milford Sound day trip
Day 8 Drive to Haast (it doesn't seem like I can make it to Fox Glacier in one day. Is there somewhere better to stop?)
Day 9 Fox Glacier
Day 10 Overnight Westport
Day 11 Mapua
Day 12 Mapua
Day 13 Mapua
Day 14 Kaikoura
Day 15 Christchurch
Day 16 Fly out

*I've replaced Blenheim with Mapua-it seems like that way I can see both the Abel Tasman but also do some relaxing/wine tasting. I'd like to end with 3 nights somewhere beautiful and relaxing but Blenheim seemed a bit too much like California where I live. I am still open to skipping Abel Tasman entirely and spending more time down south though if I find somewhere to spend a few days...
*I am open to skipping the glacier. I have seen glaciers in Patagonia. Would that free up time or do we have to drive right past them anyway?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

There is another option I forgot to lay out--I could also spend a couple extra days in Te Anau. In many ways, Fjordland looks the most gorgeous but I wasn't sure if there is enough to do there without doing a multi-day hike. I would do this instead of Nelson or maybe the glacier. Would this make sense? Thanks!
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:05 PM

Your itinerary looks fine until Day 8. This is too long a drive. How about breaking up the drive in Cromwell, for some of that wine tasting you mentioned? I can even recommend a place to stay and a great place for lunch.

Is Mt Cook a must see? It seems to be for most (very few of whom have ever set foot in Glenorchy, but that's beside the point; Mt Cook is on the wishlist of most visitors and I just spent three nights there myself). It is spectacular, don't get me wrong, but the weather is less settled there and chances of actually seeing Mt Cook are hit and miss. Mt Cook gets a lot of rain, year round. There are some very nice hikes there though and the glacial lakes in the area are something to behold.

However, if you plan well, there's no reason you can't fit in Mt Cook, Wanaka AND Glenorchy.

Three nights in Mapua? I get that; Upper Moutere and Tasman would work as well. Nice bases in between Nelson and Blenheim, an approach I take myself.

Why Westport?

Plenty to do in/around Te Anau if you like the outdoors. We just spent three nights in Manapouri and three in Knob's Flat (between Te Anau and Milford) and I'm headed back there again early next week.
Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! This is helpful. It seems like my main decision now should between more time down South or heading up to Tasman/Moutere. I think it might be nice to see some different scenery in Abel Tasman but perhaps it's just too much. What are your thoughts on this for our first visit? I am also considering skipping the glaciers since they seem touristy and I have seen glaciers before. I feel like that really goes against the norm though.

My main concern with the below itineraries is that I am skipping Nelson Lakes which a friend said was gorgeous and maybe a bit different from the Southern lakes.

Here are two potential itineraries. I would love any and all thoughts!! Thank you!

Day 1 Fly into CHC (or should it be Queenstown??)
Day 2 Mt. Cook
Day 3 Mt. Cook
Day 4 Glenorchy (Going to try to get a room at Glenorchy Lake House if we do this)
Day 5 Glenorchy
Day 6 Glenorchy
Day 7 Te Anau
Day 8 Te Anau
Day 9 Te Anau (Is there anything to do besides hiking in Glenorchy/Te Anau?)
Day 10 Cromwell (I'd love a suggestion of where to stay here, thanks!)
Day 11 Fox Glacier (Do I really need 2 nights here?)
Day 12 Fox Glacier
Day 13 Hokitika
Day 14 Arthur's Pass
Day 15 Christchurch

Option 2

Day 1 Fly into CHC
Day 2 Mt. Cook
Day 3 Mt. Cook
Day 4 Glenorchy
Day 5 Glenorchy
Day 6 Glenorchy
Day 7 Te Anau
Day 8 Te Anau
Day 9 Cromwell/Wanaka
Day 10 Fox Glacier
Day 11 Westport (I just saw this on a map and found a nice hotel but am definitely open to other ideas. I could also skip the west coast but I don't know if that saves any time.)
Day 12 Mapua
Day 13 Mapua
Day 14 Kaikoura
Day 15 Christchurch
Day 16 Fly out

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Ok I already have some fresh ideas on this. I've looked more into the glaciers and they do seem quite unique. I'm wondering if I should spend more time there than in Mt. Cook. I am also thinking of doing 3 nights in Te Anau and then just 2 in Glenorchy (I now read mixed review on Glenorchy lake house so any suggestions of where to stay would be great). The main question, though, is still Mapua vs. more time down South I suppose!
Old Sep 4th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Sounds like a full on trip. I'm sure you guys will have an awesome time in New Zealand. There are some good New Zealand itineraries on Trippa Travel's website http://www.trippatravel.co.nz/itinerary
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 12:14 AM

Regarding Glenorchy - you absolutely cannot go wrong with Precipice Creek Station B&B - tell Vladka Mel from Perth referred you and wishes she were there herself. My favorite accommodation on the SI, hands down, we just wrapped up our third stay there last week.

Do be aware that Glenorchy is tiny, plan to self-cater dinner or eat at one of two pubs which are pretty dire in my experience.

Regarding Nelson Lakes - I've been there a few times and IMO they pale in comparison to the lakes further south - QT, Wanaka, etc.

Regarding where to stay in Cromwell - River Rock Estate (I think, I was just there a short time ago, but I'm having a senior moment, will try to verify and get back in a day or so).

Currently in Te Anau - for me it's all about the hiking and Milford Sound. There are glow worms, lake activities, etc too. And don't miss Shadowland, Fiordland on Film at the local theater - incredible.

My internet access at my current accommodation is miserable, will have to look at your other questions later.
Old Sep 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM

Yep, River Rock. Lovely place. A bit small, but otherwise a good option. I've posted a review on TA.

http://www.riverrockestate.com/
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 05:35 AM

Just a query reading these relies, is the southern coastal loop not worth seeing, Dunedin, Invercargill?
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 11:08 AM

Sure it is, if you have the time and inclination.

Invercargill is a rather dull little agricultural town, but it's near Bluff, the launching point to Stewart Island. Lots of people seem to enjoy Dunedin (I'm not a fan myself), but I've thoroughly enjoyed my visits to the Catlins.

We were recently in Riverton, a much overlooked town that I rather liked - it's on the Southern Scenic Route south of Manapouri.

It's all good, but one must prioritize with such limited time.
Old Sep 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! This is helpful. I think the main question for me is still what to prioritize and whether we want to spend less time down South in order to see Abel Tasman and/or Marlborough Sounds. I do like the idea of doing some kayaking and having more guaranteed good weather, but the southern area is so unique. One question I didn't ask was whether Arthur's Pass is a must-see and if I could/should do that instead of Mt. Cook? Thanks!!
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 01:19 AM

Ah man, another impossible question. For me, the attraction of Arthur's Pass is the Otira Viaduct. For pure mountain splendor, you can't go wrong with Mt Cook.

So, Mt Cook before Arthur's Pass, IMO.

Having said that, I've included Arthur's Pass on the itinerary for the visit I'm currently on, as I thought my brother, for whom I've tailored this particular trip, would appreciate the engineering marvel.

I just want to point out that I'm a week into the above mentioned 14 day tailor made trip and I'm exhausted. Today we drove from Wanaka to Franz Josef, supposedly a 4.5 hour drive...took us nine hours with stops.

Please, please do not underestimate the traveling time - you're much better off trying to do less than more. On this leg of the trip (the first leg was a leisurely 17 days with my spouse) we've been to QT, Te Anau, Wanaka and now Franz Josef and it's been rush, rush, rush. Not my style of travel at all, but I'm taking one for the team as the team only has two weeks of vacation

I strongly advise you to not attempt the far north and the south in the same trip - it's just too much moving, not enough doing. Trust me on this.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 07:28 AM

I would look at Kinloch Lodge near Glenorchy, an even more beautiful setting. Close access to the Routeburn Track.

http://www.kinlochlodge.co.nz/

Definitely Mt. Cook over Arthurs Pass. If you are looking for a place to stay try to get the Alpine Lodge early, it sells out. http://www.aorakialpinelodge.co.nz/

You can do winetasting between Queenstown around Cromwell (very good wine tasting, actually). Mt. Difficulty is one of the famous ones. I would suggest however staying in Arrowtown rather than Cromwell, since you will be backtracking the next day.

http://www.cromwell.org.nz/things-to.../wineries.aspx

If you are staying in Te Anau, to see Milford Sound, I might go back to Wanaka for the second night. You can reach the glaciers in a full day even with some of the day hikes along the route, no need to overnight in Haast.

Do two nights at the glaciers, not one.

It is a long drive from the north coast to Christchurch, the coastal route is faster. I probably would not book ahead, just see how far you get and stop when tired.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Today we drove from Wanaka to Franz Josef, supposedly a 4.5 hour drive...took us nine hours with stops. >>

yikes! poor you, melnq. can I ask whether it was just the weight of traffic, or weather, or did you keep stopping for a look?!! I'm glad I had the benefit of your advice at the beginning of our planning process - even so, I suspect that we are trying to do too much!
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM

annhig -

Well, it's a long slow drive anyway, but a big part of the drive is the stops along the way - we stopped for photos of Lake Hawea in all its sunny snow capped mountain glory, walked to the Blue Pools (30 minutes return give or take), visited a waterfall, walked the 90 minutes return to Monro Beach (it's currently penguin breeding season), stopped at the Knights Point Lookout, had fish and chips in Haast and made a very quick detour to the Fox Glacier view overlook.

A big part of the West Coast drive is the stops - why even bother if you don't stop to enjoy the attractions along the way?

There was virtually no traffic, but the roads are winding and narrow, lots of one way bridges, and in our case, some rain, which slows the drive down even more, as those windy roads become slick.

NZ2014 - I strongly suggest the Aoraki Court Motel over the Alpine Lodge in Mt Cook - it just opened this past December and it's wonderful - we spent three nights there a few weeks back. Well set up for self-catering, spacious, comfortable and great views.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -