Yantze River Cruise

Mar 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Yantze River Cruise

My husband and I are considering a Yantze River Cruise in mid-April; we have two questions: 1. Can we book the cruise at the Chongquing dock shortly before departure (how far ahead) and how much would I expect to save over the Regal Line's $800 quote or the Victoria's quote of approximately $600? 2. The Victoria Cruise Line quoted a promotion price on Saturdays of 40% off regular fare of $600. Why is Saturday an unfavorable day to cruise. Are the sights closed on the weekends? Thanks to you knowledgable people for taking the time to read and hopefully answer these questions.
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:06 AM

We booked at our hotel (JWMarriott() in Chongqing last May, 2005. We saw the East Queen in port, returned to our hotel, and had them purchase the tickets for the next day. They even sent someone with us in our taxi to the docks to make sure we got to the right ship and to carry luggage aboard for us. I think we paid $400 pp. cash for the trip.
Mar 17th, 2005, 05:06 AM

That was May, 2004.
Mar 17th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jane for your input. That information gives me courage to wait until we arrive to book ship. That is quite a savings. The price quoted to me was outrageous. Luxury ocean-going ships with far more amenities charge half what the simple Chinese river cruise ships are asking.
Aug 19th, 2005, 05:08 PM

My husband and I are planning to go to China in Oct 2005 and I am wondering how your trip went. Did you go through the 3 gorges? Did you book the boat for the Three Gorges tour while there or ahead of time from here in the states? How long did the tour take? I appreciate your advice.
Aug 27th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Hi LubieLody,

I was on the Victoria Prince for a three night excursion between Chongqing and Yichang in October 2004. It was pretty rainy while on the river, but still very impressive. We booked the tour before we left the US as we were with a university group. I think the cost was around $600. You may have better weather, but it was rather chilly the entire trip. Windbreakers and sweaters are a must. You transfer to smaller boats to view the "little gorges."

The Victoria line is run by a US company (an American-Chinese family), so it is geared towards western tastes. It is spotlessly clean and although the rooms are small, but very comfortable. The deluxe rooms are really beautiful and large (I peaked.)

There are sliding glass doors to narrow decks in every cabin that helps the rooms seem a bit larger. Bathrooms are more than adequate and the food is just fine.

The staff are the cheeriest I have ever seen in my life. They bend over backwards and are smiling all the time. The staff that serve you at dinner are also the models and vocalists that entertain you at night.

The whole thing is a bit Disneyland-like regardless of which ship you take. However, unless you have your own private yacht and crew in Chongqing, there is no other way to see the river and the dam. I am very glad I saw both.

The JW Marriott is a gorgeous hotel for a jump off point.
Sep 19th, 2005, 07:01 AM

Dear BostHarbor,

Thanks so much for your information. We are now planning to go in November '05 as plans shift. Might be a tad chilly on the cruise but we'll be prepared.
Sep 19th, 2005, 08:26 AM

We did the Yangtze River on a Victoria ship several years ago before the dam.

This is a little off the subject, but the one thing no one told me was that the water in your cabin comes directly out of the river. The river was a muddy color, so any laundry you do or the ship does for you will be permanently dingy looking. Next time I will not take white underwear.