Yangtze River Cruise

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 11:53 PM
Michael

Yangtze River Cruise

My wife and I are considering cruising the Yangtze River in November or December. We are interested in knowing whether anyone has had dealings with a conpany called ChinaonYourMind.com. We are also interested in any suggestions about cruise lines, side trips, and points of interest etc. Thank you for your help.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 07:31 AM
Albert Wong

Michael, <BR> <BR> I am a 28year old Newyorker who had the unfortunate pleasure of traveling the Yangtze river via the Victoria Cruise during October of this year. The cabins smell like sewage, the food was only ok, but, the staff was excellent and this from a "4 star cruise" I only rate the cruise as a 2 star and I recommend you save the money and just fly to all your destinations that you want to visit. It will be much cheaper and I am certain you have more fun. The passager average age is about 60, mostly retired, some were very cool people, but, most were boring and I found myself reading three novels during the cruise. Some the views were awesome, but, was it worth 1300 usd for 7 days/ 8 nights? I have to say no way. I rather have used the money on airline tickets and hotel rooms. I have to state that I and other passagers were food poisoned (the ships's doctor says stomach flu, I and a fellow passager who is a doctor beg to differ) So, my view is influence by being very sick for three long days on the cruise. I also have to say again that the crew was excellent and is very friendly and I feel sad by how much Victoria cruise is working them. <BR> <BR>Albert

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 12:50 PM
Laurie

Michael, we cruised on Victoria Princess in Oct. of this year. Room was only ok: soiled carpet, dirty drapes but bed lined and towels clean (I asked for a clean sheet to wrap my blanket in). Food was good, lots of choices for breakfast; all meals were buffet. We did't starve! We cruised from Chongqing to Wuhan--4nights and that was plenty. The staff are great and very friendly, working hard all of the time. Wait staff very hard working! We enjoyed it but I agree with Albert, 4 nights were enough. Scenery was awesome the gorges and sampan cruise were great. Remember, the Yangtze is a dirty and much used river, a wonderful piece of beautiful China. Cruise the Li River in Guilin if you have the chance--fabulous!

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Emily

My husband and I went from Shanghai to Chongqing on the Victoria Princess last year. We had a great time -- good food, nice people, helpful crew, large and clean rooms. We would repeat the whole experience in a heartbeat EXCEPT, as the previous poster pointed out, 4 days is enough. The really good stretch of the river is between Wuhan and Chongqing. This is the area with the famous "3 Gorges" that will be submerged within the next few years. It is an incredible place and should not be missed. The eastern portion of the river, from Wuhan to Shanghai, is not very scenic and can easily be missed.

Old Dec 2nd, 2000, 03:45 PM
Angela

We did the Yangtze River cruise on the East Queen and it was a bit better than what the previous responses have described. The East Queen/East King are known to be the best boats to take the Yangtze cruise on. Try to get a suite if possible - we had a small living room and a bedroom, both with picture windows to look at the river through. The food was good (no food poisoning) the rooms were clean and odor-free, but a bit dated, and the staff were very friendly and attentive. We did a 14 day trip around China and the cruise was a nice break from the bustle of the other cities we visited. We went through R. Crusoe for our tour and, although they are quite expensive, we were extremely pleased with them. <BR> <BR>Good Luck and Enjoy! <BR> <BR>Angela

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 09:43 PM
Margaret White

We did the Yangtze River cruise on the East Queen and it was a bit better than what the previous responses have described. The East Queen/East King are known to be the best boats to take the Yangtze cruise on.