Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Yangshuo - Magnolia Hotel Or Li River Retreat?

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a difficult time making this decision.

The friend who I am traveling with thinks that staying in town at the Magnolia would be the better choice. Her reasoning is that it will be more convenient being right in town.

My choice is the Retreat. I would rather have it quiet for sleeping yet close to town. Also, the setting looks lovely.

Any opinions?

Les
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:50 PM

It matters what is most important to you - being very close to restaurants, bars, or shops or having more peace and quiet in a beautiful setting. Unfortunately I don't know anything about Magnolia but I just got back from staying at the Li River Retreat so can give you the pros and cons.

PROS: Scenery is absolutely gorgeous. The hotel is situated in the mountains and overlooks the river. The hotel is also very clean, updated and comfortable. I would also highly recommend getting a room on the third floor as the views are incredible. The food at the hotel is also quite good.

CONS: It's about a 10 minute taxi ride or a 20 minute walk from town which can be a little inconvenient if you're going out every night. If you need a taxi to get into town, the hotel can call one for you. However, you can also rent bikes from the hotel or mopeds from town.

My recommendation would still be the Li River Retreat BUT if being close to the action is very important to you, I'd go with Magnolia. Good luck!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply,Travelgo7.

Anybody elso been to Yangshuo and have an opinion?

Les
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 08:44 AM

I hope you don't mind me tagging along on thie tread. I'm planning to stay at the Retreat. I want some downtime and don't mind being out of town.

travelgo7, what's the approximate cost of a taxi ride from the retreat to town - if we want to have dinner in town, although besides your comments I did read they have good food there?

Thanks,

Monica
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Monica,

Unfortunately I'm not able to help you with your taxi question. As I had an excursion planned every day, my driver simply dropped me off at the hotel - usually late in the evening so I would then just relax at the hotel instead of going back into town.

To get an answer to your question, I would email the Li River Retreat and ask them about the cost of a taxi. They should be able to provide this information easily.